Optimizing Power on a Resistor: Finding the Maximum Power

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximal power on resistor R using Thevenin theorem. The Thevenin impedance is found to be 5+j5, and the maximum power is calculated to be 5.86. However, it is noted that the power calculation was incorrect due to using R=5 instead of R=5sqrt(2). After correcting this mistake, the power is correctly calculated to be 8.3.
crom1

Homework Statement

Find the maximal power on resistor R.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Thevenin theorem. I found that Z_t=5+j10 , and U_t= 10-j10. The maximum power happens in this case when $$R=|Z_t| = 5 \sqrt{5}$$ , and I get that P=6.18, while the answer is P=8.3.
Where did I went wrong?

Attachments

• zad.png
    zad.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
There's hard to tell where you went wrong if you don't show the details of your work.

However, can you show how you found the Thevenin impedance?

When I look at it again, I get Z_t=5+j5,but I still get wrong solution. Do you want me to post my full (wrong) solution?

I found 5+j5 (parallel circuit of 10 ohms and j10 ohms)

crom1 said:
When I look at it again, I get Z_t=5+5i,but I still get wrong solution. Do you want me to post my full (wrong) solution?
Yes, that would be best.

So I found thevenin impedance as parallel circuit of 10 ohms and j10 ohms (I can ignore 10 ohms and -j10 ohms since there is voltage source parallel to them).
Point A is to the left of our resistor , and point B to the right.
Bottom line of a circuit has potential equal to 0 (i don't know how to say it in english, hope you understand).
point A has potential 10V. When finding potential of point B, i ignore voltage source of 10V( the on the left). The impedance is parallel circuit of 10+j10 and 10-j10 so Z=10 ohms.
The current is then 1+j. The current going through 10+j10 is exactly 1 A, so the potential of B is j10. Now U_th= 10-j10.
R should be 5 sqrt(2) , the current in thevenin circuit should be I=U_th/(Z_th+R) = 1.083 (effective value) and power is P=I^2R=5.86

Your Thevenin impedance and voltage look good, as do the resistance and the magnitude of the current that you found. The first problem I can see is with the very last bit, the calculation of the power, P = I2R. Check that calculation again. Break it down by calculation step if necessary.

Likes crom1
Thank you, I was putting R=5 this whole time and not 5sqrt(2). Now it's correct.

What is maximum power on a resistor?

Maximum power on a resistor refers to the maximum amount of power that can be safely dissipated by a resistor without causing damage. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is determined by the resistor's design and materials.

Why is maximum power important for resistors?

Knowing the maximum power of a resistor is important because it allows us to select the appropriate resistor for a given circuit. Using a resistor with a lower maximum power than what is required can cause it to overheat and potentially fail, while using a resistor with a higher maximum power can be a waste of resources.

How is maximum power calculated for a resistor?

Maximum power on a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms. This formula assumes that the voltage across the resistor is constant and does not vary over time.

What happens if a resistor exceeds its maximum power?

If a resistor exceeds its maximum power, it can overheat and potentially melt or catch fire. This can cause damage to the resistor and other components in the circuit. It is important to always use resistors with maximum power ratings that are equal to or higher than the power requirements of the circuit.

Can the maximum power of a resistor be increased?

No, the maximum power of a resistor is determined by its design and materials. Attempting to increase the maximum power by modifying the resistor can be dangerous and should not be done. Instead, a resistor with a higher maximum power rating should be used.