Maximum Power Transfer problem

In summary, to maximize power transfer from a generator to a load, you need to find the values of RL and CL that maximize the real and imaginary parts of YS, respectively.
Aigik

Homework Statement

For the following circuit, find the values of RL and CL that maximize the power extracted from the generator.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15390227/circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

Z = R + jX
XL = jωL
XC = 1/jωC

The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately, the impedance of the source can be easily determined, as the source resistor and inductor are in series:
ZS = 50 + j47.879 Ω

Normally, if the load's resistor and capacitor were in series, this could easily be solved by setting the load impedance equal to the complex conjugate of the source impedance:
ZL = 50 - j47.879 Ω

However, I can't do this since the load's resistor and capacitor are in parallel, not in series. I could determine the equivalent impedance of the load with this formula:
ZL = XCRL / XC + RL

Once I have these two equations for the load impedance, I'm kind of stumped on what to do next. I think I'm on the right track, but I've hit a brick wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the maximum power transfer theorem from the point of view of admittance rather than impedance?

Thanks for replying. Well, I hadn't considered trying that before. Mainly because I'm more familiar with impedance.

So going down that route, the admittance formula is:

Y = (R - jX) / (R2 + X2)

After plugging in the given resistance and inductance values, I can determine the admittance of the source:

YS = 0.0104332 - j0.00999

The complex conjugate gives us the admittance of the load:

YL = 0.0104332 + j0.00999

Since the admittance is the inverse of the impedance, I also have this formula:

YL = XC + RL / XCRL

There must be something else I'm not understanding, because this just leaves me in the same position I was when I tried to solve using the impedance. I can't use the complex conjugate method because the capacitor and load resistor are in parallel instead of series, and I'm not sure how I can use the second formula to solve the problem.

Conductances or admittances in parallel simply add. What are the two expressions for the admittances of the load components?

For the capacitor: Ycapacitor = jωC (since Y = 1/Z)
For the resistor: Yresistor = 1/R

Is this what you were looking for?

Aigik said:
For the capacitor: Ycapacitor = jωC (since Y = 1/Z)
For the resistor: Yresistor = 1/R

Is this what you were looking for?

Yup. So what's the net admittance of the load?

gneill said:
Yup. So what's the net admittance of the load?

The net admittance of the load would be:
YL = 1/RL + jωC

Or, since we know ω:
YL = 1/RL + j377C

Aigik said:
The net admittance of the load would be:
YL = 1/RL + jωC

Or, since we know ω:
YL = 1/RL + j377C

Okay, now what might you do with that? (Max power transfer theorem...)

I'm not quite sure I'm following. I know that to achieve maximum power transfer, we need to set the impedance of the load to the complex conjugate of the source (or vice versa). I have the admittance for the load:

YL = 1/RL + j377C
...whose complex conjugate is YS = 1/RL - j377C

I also have the impedance for the source:
ZS = 50 + j47.879
...whose complex conjugate is: ZL = 50 - j47.879

I could set the load admittance equal to the inverse of the load impedance, but I'm not sure what I could solve with that, as I would still have multiple unknowns (the capacitance and the load resistance).

You have a numerical value for the impedance of the source. The corresponding admittance is trivially obtained...

YS = 0.01 - j0.01
or: YL = 0.01 + j0.01

So I have two equations for the admittance of the load:
YL = 0.01 + j0.01
YL = 1/RL + j377C

If I set these equal to each other, though, I still have two unknowns.

Wait: could I set 0.01 = 1/RL and 0.01 = 377C?

Yup. One term is real and the other imaginary. They do not mix, so they represent separate "equations". Simply equate the like terms as you did.

By the way, you might want to hang onto some extra digits in intermediate steps so that truncation error doesn't bite you along the way :smile:

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Maximum Power Transfer problem?

The Maximum Power Transfer problem is a concept in electrical engineering that refers to the conditions necessary for maximum power to be transferred from a power source to a load. It involves finding the optimal matching of impedance between the source and load to achieve maximum power transfer.

2. Why is the Maximum Power Transfer problem important?

The Maximum Power Transfer problem is important because it ensures efficient use of power in electrical systems. When the conditions for maximum power transfer are met, the power loss in the system is minimized, resulting in better overall performance.

3. How is the Maximum Power Transfer problem solved?

The Maximum Power Transfer problem is typically solved using thevenin's theorem or Norton's theorem, which involve replacing the source and load with equivalent circuits and finding the optimal impedance matching between them.

4. What factors affect the Maximum Power Transfer problem?

The factors that affect the Maximum Power Transfer problem include the resistance and reactance of the source and load, the frequency of the power source, and the type of circuit used (AC or DC).

5. How is the Maximum Power Transfer problem used in real-world applications?

The Maximum Power Transfer problem is used in various real-world applications such as power transmission lines, audio systems, and solar panels. It ensures that these systems are designed and operated efficiently to maximize power transfer and minimize energy loss.