• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Maximum power transfer theorem

i was solving one question...it said find out value of r in a circuit so that the 6 ohm resistor consumes maximum power.....i applied max power theorem .....and calculated the thevenin eqivalent resistance accrss 6 ohm resistance....and put it equal to 6.....but the r cam eout to be negative...so wat to conclude from this...

Answers and Replies

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
It would help if you posted a diagram of the circuit in question. If this is an ideal source in series with a source resistance and the 6 ohm resistor, then this question is best answered by thinking about the following question:

What is the max power transfer theorem?

I suspect a Mod will be by shortly to move this question, but homework questions like these should be posed in the Homework section:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

yes...its just an ideal source...some resistances and a 6 ohm resistance...i just removed it and found out thevenin equivalent across its terminals...and compared it to be 6 for max theorem..i am attaching a file

Attachments

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
As you surmise, max power transfer happens when the load resistance is equal to the source resistance. Have you determined the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit connected to the 6 ohm resistor (i.e. everything to the left of that resistor)?