1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum power transfer theorem

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    i was solving one question...it said find out value of r in a circuit so that the 6 ohm resistor consumes maximum power.....i applied max power theorem .....and calculated the thevenin eqivalent resistance accrss 6 ohm resistance....and put it equal to 6.....but the r cam eout to be negative...so wat to conclude from this...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

It would help if you posted a diagram of the circuit in question. If this is an ideal source in series with a source resistance and the 6 ohm resistor, then this question is best answered by thinking about the following question:

What is the max power transfer theorem?

I suspect a Mod will be by shortly to move this question, but homework questions like these should be posed in the Homework section:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    yes...its just an ideal source...some resistances and a 6 ohm resistance...i just removed it and found out thevenin equivalent across its terminals...and compared it to be 6 for max theorem..i am attaching a file

Attached Files:

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

As you surmise, max power transfer happens when the load resistance is equal to the source resistance. Have you determined the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit connected to the 6 ohm resistor (i.e. everything to the left of that resistor)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook