1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum Profit

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A company can do 300 units per week at a weekly cost per unit of $58 for labor and supplies. If the charge is $100 per unit, then it would have clients for 300 units. However, for each $5 price increase, it could expect to have 10 fewer units.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    Can you come up with a formula for profit?

Let's do the easy one first, when the company doesn't charge anything extra:
    Pi(x) = (number of units)(sell price - cost) = 300(100-58)
    Fairly straight forward, now let's modify this with a variable “x” which will represent how many times they will charge an extra $5.

P(x) = (number of units)(sell price - cost) = (300-10x)(100+5x-58) = (300-10x)(42+5x)
    Now what we do from here depends on what class you are in. If you are in an algebra course, you should recognize this as a parabola and know how to graph it. If you are in calculus I would expand it, take the derivative, and set it equal to zero.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help so far. I am in Precalculus. I need to plug these formulas into an excel spreadsheet.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    I have the formulas in the spread sheet. I think all is going well. I need to know what type of rule is this. I would really like to be able to figure this out. Is it the product of two polynomials?

6. Sep 7, 2010 #5
    It is two polynomials multiplied. You should be able to do this by hand by using the FOIL method then putting it standard form for a parabola. Picture a parabola, what point would be the max or min?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    Thanks alot!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook