1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum propeller diameter

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    Ok i'm trying to work out a few things with propellers but I am struggling to work out if I have got this right.

If I have an 1800 shp engine running at about 2000 rpm and I want my aircraft to have a maximum speed of approximately 350 mph what is the maximum diameter I can have the propeller. I have read in a few books that it is best to keep propeller speed between 0.7 and 0.8 Mach.

Working back from this I have calculated the diameter to be 78.5 inches however I know the spitfire used to run at 3500 rpm with at prop diameter of 10ft so I am assuming that I have done something wrong in my calculations.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    The Merlins or Allisons used in Spitfire or Mustangs had a reduction gearbox that I think was about 2.5-1 So while the engine might have seen say 3500 rpm the prop was only turning at 1400 or so.

The rpm/mach number on your smaller prop actually sounds correct Might even be a bit on the high side. While you loose efficiency about all that happens is the prop "snarls". It gets loud as it breaks the mach. A Cessna 185 has a 310hp engine. When taking off it makes the usual noises until you have it full throttle and the prop tips bust the mach and then it gets a bit loud.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook