1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum ratio of calcium, atp hydrolysis

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    Hello,
    1-The standard free energy associated to the hydrolysis of one ATP mole is -31 kJ. What would be the energy when [ATP]=5mM , [ADP]=0.5mM and [Pi]=1mM
    2-Calculate the free energy required to move 1 mol of Ca2+ ions from the outside of the cell (where [Ca2+] = 10-3) to the inside (where [Ca2+] = 10-7) when the membrane potential is -70mV and the temperature is 25°C
    3- What would be the maximum ratio of [Ca2+]out/[Ca2+]in that the atp hydrolysis would fight using the ATP ADP and PI concentrations and potential given above.

1/ I just used the formula
    dG=dGo + RT ln ( [ADP][PI]/[ATP] )
    I found dG=-53.8 kJ

2/ dG=RTln([Ca2+]o/[Ca2+]in) - 2*F*V
    dG=36.3 kJ

3/ I calculated the equilibrium constants for each reaction, multiplied them to get [Ca2+]out[ADP][Pi] / [Ca2+]in[ATP] and then found the ratio from that is that correct ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted