1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum shear strain direction

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

14714206e9ccb8064cc7579fbf9cfc640441a831.png

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\gamma_{max} = {\left|{\epsilon_1} - {\epsilon_2} \right|}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the maximum shear strain to be [itex]200 \mu[/itex].

For the angle, I don't know exactly how to go about finding it. However, the solution says that the angle is [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex]. Does this mean that all they were asking was to state the angle between the maximum shear plane and the principal plane, which is always [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex]? Or am I supposed to solve for the maximum shear plane angle by first finding the principal plane angle and subtracting [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex] from it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    You need to get chummy with your buddy the Mohr stress/strain circle... although just looking at the question you could solve it purely from math. I assume you have a solid mechanics or mechanics of materials textbook you could easily find it in there.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Our professor explicitly told us not to use Mohr's circle for this question.

I have tried looking through my mechanics of materials textbook, but couldn't find a way of solving for the direction angle of the maximum shear strain, just with having the principal strains and the maximum shear strain.

I want to know whether the question was supposed to ask you to state the angle between the maximum shear strain and the angle and the principal plane angle. I know this sounds trivial, but the answer to this problem does say [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex].

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

temaire: I currently think you worked the problem correctly. I currently think all they were asking for was to state the angle between the maximum shear plane and principal planes, which is always 45 deg.

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    Thank you nvn. That's what I was thinking as well.

7. Nov 11, 2011 #6
    Always 45 deg. You're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook