1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum sound and wave problem

1. Jun 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Speakers L_1 and L_2 are placed at a 2 m distance from each other. The speakers send out soundwaves that are in the same phase and the loudness (?) is examined in the point P (see figure). The velocity of the sound is 343 m/s and the distance L_2P is 6 m.

L_1

L_2 P (right triangle)

a)Which is the lowest frequency that causes a maximum in P?

b)Which is the highest frequency that causes a minimum in the point P?

Answer is 1060 and 528 Hz.

2. Relevant equations
    v=fλ

3. The attempt at a solution
    With maximum, do they mean that both the sound waves should have antinodes at the same time in P? I've been trying different ways but I'm not getting it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2
    Maximum means constructive interference . The waves travel different distances while reaching point P . What should be the path difference if the waves were to interfere constructively ?

4. Jun 9, 2014 #3
    Got it, in a) lambda is 2sqrt(10)-6, in b) that is lambda/2. Understand now. Interference could be constructive without being maximum though, maximum is optimal constructive interference I guess. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted