Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum space-time curvature?

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    First I thought

If nothing can move faster than c, then nothing can accelerate faster than c/sec, right? Well, that means that the maximum amount space-time can curve is up to the ol' 45 degree slope, not like straight down as some black-hole pictures are made. Right?

And then I thought

If the space-time curvature exceeds c/sec, there is an event horizon formed, and no information from that area can reach us - no light can escape that place, and thus the postulates of relativity are not violated.

And now I am confuzzled

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No. What would make you think that? We get much greater accelerations in particle colliders, and probably even in x-ray tubes.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    I was actually just going to post again that I realized that this acceleration would have to continue for one whole second >.< If a mod can please lock this sign of my stupidity>.<

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4
    What if a planetary body was so massive that the acceleration 299,792,458 meters from the surface was 1c/sec. That would give the mass enough time to accelerate to c, right? I don't know, this is just idle speculation. The thread peaked my interest.

edit: It would accelerate far past c (in classical physics, at least), as the acceleration would increase near the surface

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?