Relate simple harmonic motion to circular motion

In summary: Can you write the equation for the x displacement of the mass? You are correct that the mass moves in simple harmonic motion. That is where the sin() or cos() funtion comes in. You don't need the circle analogy at all, just write the equation for x(t), and use simple differential calculus to find v(t).
peanut15
1. Prove that the maximum speed of a mass on a spring is given by Vmax = 2pifA
f = frequency A= amplitude

We have just learned how to relate simple harmonic motion to circular motion. So I am dealing with some of those equations.

3. While writing this out I kind of had a thought and think I got it, but am still not sure.

T=2pir/V is one of the equations that we are shown.
we are also shown that A=r because of the radius being a circles maximum amplitude. so
T=2piA/V
V=2piA/T and T=1/f right?
so
V=2pifA ?

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
peanut15 said:
1. Prove that the maximum speed of a mass on a spring is given by Vmax = 2pifA
f = frequency A= amplitude

We have just learned how to relate simple harmonic motion to circular motion. So I am dealing with some of those equations.

3. While writing this out I kind of had a thought and think I got it, but am still not sure.

T=2pir/V is one of the equations that we are shown.
we are also shown that A=r because of the radius being a circles maximum amplitude. so
T=2piA/V
V=2piA/T and T=1/f right?
so
V=2pifA ?

Is this correct?

Welcome to the PF. I didn't follow what you wrote... Have you had beginning calculus yet? If so, write an equation for the displacement of the mass as a funtion of tiime. It will have an oscillatory term with a sin() or cos() in it (your choice). If that is the equation for the displacement, how can you use calculus to find the equation for the velocity as a function of time? That will show you how to get the answer they are asking about.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. I didn't follow what you wrote... Have you had beginning calculus yet? If so, write an equation for the displacement of the mass as a funtion of tiime. It will have an oscillatory term with a sin() or cos() in it (your choice). If that is the equation for the displacement, how can you use calculus to find the equation for the velocity as a function of time? That will show you how to get the answer they are asking about.
They would have talked about calculus if I had to use it to do a proof of this. I don't think it is required and there are no trig functions at all. I have taken calculus and would be looking for a solution that way, but they would usually demonstrate something mathmatical like that before asking us to use it in a solution.

I could list out all the equations they give on the page before that should be used to solve this question. They were all about relation simple harmonic motion to circular motion. Which would be where the 2pi comes from into the simple harmonic motion of the spring.

peanut15 said:
They would have talked about calculus if I had to use it to do a proof of this. I don't think it is required and there are no trig functions at all. I have taken calculus and would be looking for a solution that way, but they would usually demonstrate something mathmatical like that before asking us to use it in a solution.

I could list out all the equations they give on the page before that should be used to solve this question. They were all about relation simple harmonic motion to circular motion. Which would be where the 2pi comes from into the simple harmonic motion of the spring.

I was trying to get you to think about what is really going on physically, not about what canned equations they may have listed for you.

Can you write the equation for the x displacement of the mass? You are correct that the mass moves in simple harmonic motion. That is where the sin() or cos() funtion comes in. You don't need the circle analogy at all, just write the equation for x(t), and use simple differential calculus to find v(t). Very simple and physical way to show what they are asking for.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is the back and forth motion of an object around an equilibrium position, where the force acting on the object is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and is always directed towards the equilibrium position.

2. How is circular motion related to simple harmonic motion?

Circular motion can be thought of as a special case of simple harmonic motion, where the object follows a circular path around a fixed point. This circular motion can be broken down into two perpendicular harmonic motions, resulting in the object moving back and forth along the circular path.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is the number of complete oscillations per unit time, while the period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The two are inversely proportional, meaning as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

4. What is the role of restoring force in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, restoring force is responsible for bringing the object back to its equilibrium position. It is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position, meaning the further the object is from equilibrium, the stronger the restoring force will be.

5. How is energy conserved in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, energy is conserved as the object oscillates between potential energy and kinetic energy. At the equilibrium position, the object has maximum kinetic energy and zero potential energy. As it moves away from equilibrium, potential energy increases while kinetic energy decreases. At the other extreme, the object has maximum potential energy and zero kinetic energy. This process repeats, resulting in a constant total energy throughout the motion.