1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Speed of a Turning Car

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    A certain car has a minimum turning radius of 8.2 m. If the coefficient of static friction between the tires and road is µ = 0.2, what is the maximum speed the car can have without skidding on an unbanked road if the steering wheel is turned fully to the right?

I know that this problem will need that centripetal acceleration is equal to velocity squared over the radius. a_c=V^2/R
    Also, F≤μN, the equation of static friction.
    Possibly the Circumference of a circle C=2(pi)r

I am assuming that the a_c has to be equal to the static friction. However, the only problems with static friction have been blocks sitting on level surfaces and inclines. I know that a_c points towards the center of the circle, but which way does the friction force go?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

You've got the general idea.

just equate the 2 forces - friction and centripetal - the masses drop out and you have the condition you need to satisfy.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    I hadn't even thought of the fact the the normal force is just mg. Thanks, that was the help I needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook