1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Speed Question

1. Aug 15, 2003 #1
    I've been trying for about an hour to figure this one out and decided that I should probably ask some people who know what their doing for some input.

"A driver of a car suddenly sees the lights of a barrier 40 m ahead; it takes the drive 0.75 s to apply the brakes; the car accelerates at a speed of -10 m/s^2. What is the maximum speed possible?"

I decided to break the problems into two parts; first, the total distance covered during the time prior to initiating of braking and the time after. For the former part I was left with (Vo)(0.75). The latter part I ended with Vo(Vo/10)+0.5(-10)(Vo)^2. I put those together and 40=(Vo)(0.75)+Vo(Vo/10)+0.5(-10)(Vo)^2. Did I create an incorrect equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2003 #2

FZ+

Welcome to PF!

I think the second part of the equation is incorrect.

You are trying to use s = ut + 0.5 a t^2, right?

You shouldn't as that is 1 equation with two unknowns - you don't know what s is, and you don't know what t is.

Instead, use v^2 = u^2 + 2*a*s, and seen where you get from there.

PS: You know SUVAT terminology, right?
    s = displacement
    u = initial velocity
    v = final velocity
    a = acceleration
    t = time

4. Aug 15, 2003 #3
    Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance!

I changed my equation into v=u^2+2(a)(s) and it worked very well. 0=u^2+2(-10)(40-0.75u)] worked perfectly and I got an answer of 21.76 m/s, or about 78 km/h.

When the time comes that I'm only 40 meters away from an inescapable barrier I'll know if I'm doomed or not...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?