1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum spring compression problem

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal spring with k = 71 N/m has one end attached to a wall and the other end free. An 95 g wad of putty is thrown horizontally at 3.7 m/s directly toward the free end.

Find the maximum spring compression.

2. Relevant equations

W=1/2kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried squaring the 3.7m/s to get 13.69m^2/s^2 and multiplying that by the weight of the putty to obtain 1.3J, the work done.

Plugging that in...

W=1/2kx^2
    1.3J=1/2(71)x^2
    x=0.19

which is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multiplying it by the mass of the putty, not the weight. :wink:

In any case, I suspect you are missing the factor of 1/2 in the expression for the kinetic energy.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    I doubled the KE when I multiplied the 1/2 over in the second step, is that what youre talking about?

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm saying the KE is not 1.3 J, it's half of that. You computed 1.3 J using mv2 when you should have used (1/2)mv2.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    Got the right answer after rounding it properly haha. Thank you, that's all for tonight. :)

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6
    Can any one help me with this issue??

A block of mass m is dropped onto the top of a vertical spring whose force constant is k. If the block is released from a height h above the top of the spring then what is the maximum compression of the spring??

Waiting for your replies.

compression springs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook