Find the maximum spring compression

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum compression of a horizontal spring attached to a wall, caused by a wad of putty thrown horizontally towards the free end. The equations used are W=1/2kx^2 and KE=(1/2)mv^2. The correct answer is found by rounding and using the correct equation for kinetic energy. The conversation then shifts to discussing a new problem, involving a block of mass m being dropped onto a vertical spring with force constant k, and released from a height h. The question is asking for the maximum compression of the spring in this scenario.
Capncanada

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring with k = 71 N/m has one end attached to a wall and the other end free. An 95 g wad of putty is thrown horizontally at 3.7 m/s directly toward the free end.

Find the maximum spring compression.

Homework Equations

W=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried squaring the 3.7m/s to get 13.69m^2/s^2 and multiplying that by the weight of the putty to obtain 1.3J, the work done.

Plugging that in...

W=1/2kx^2
1.3J=1/2(71)x^2
x=0.19

which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Capncanada said:
Tried squaring the 3.7m/s to get 13.69m^2/s^2 and multiplying that by the weight of the putty to obtain 1.3J, the work done.

Multiplying it by the mass of the putty, not the weight. :wink:

In any case, I suspect you are missing the factor of 1/2 in the expression for the kinetic energy.

I doubled the KE when I multiplied the 1/2 over in the second step, is that what youre talking about?

Capncanada said:
I doubled the KE when I multiplied the 1/2 over in the second step, is that what youre talking about?

I'm saying the KE is not 1.3 J, it's half of that. You computed 1.3 J using mv2 when you should have used (1/2)mv2.

Got the right answer after rounding it properly haha. Thank you, that's all for tonight. :)

Can anyone help me with this issue??

A block of mass m is dropped onto the top of a vertical spring whose force constant is k. If the block is released from a height h above the top of the spring then what is the maximum compression of the spring??

Waiting for your replies.

_____________________________________http://www.rowleyspring.com/products/types-of-springs/compression-springs.php

1. How do you calculate the maximum spring compression?

The maximum spring compression can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its extension or compression. The formula for this is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What factors affect the maximum spring compression?

The maximum spring compression is affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the amount of force applied, and the spring constant. Other factors that can influence the maximum compression include the temperature and the presence of any external forces or constraints.

3. How can you determine the maximum spring compression experimentally?

To determine the maximum spring compression experimentally, you can use a spring scale or force gauge to measure the applied force and the resulting displacement of the spring. By plotting these values on a graph, you can determine the point at which the spring reaches its maximum compression.

4. What is the significance of finding the maximum spring compression?

Finding the maximum spring compression is important in many practical applications, such as designing springs for various devices and machines. It also helps in understanding the behavior of springs under different conditions and can aid in predicting their performance and lifespan.

5. Can the maximum spring compression be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum spring compression can be exceeded if the applied force is greater than the spring's elastic limit. This can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the spring. It is important to consider the maximum compression when designing or using springs to avoid potential hazards or damage.