1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Static Friction

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Basically, I need to find the maximum static friction of my shoe against a wood board.
    I discovered that after increasing the slope of the board, my shoe slipped at an angle of 29.33 degrees. (using tan theta = O/A) O being 42.7 cm and A being 76 cm. The shoe has a weight of 5 Newtons. I calculated the mass of the shoe by using the formula Fg = mg, where Fg = 5, and g = 9.8. Thus: 5 = m(9.8) which equals 0.51.
    A quick recap:
    theta = 29.33 degrees
    weight (Fg) = 5
    mass = 0.51

I am supposed to find the Maximum Static Friction of my shoe against the wood. I do not[b/] know the co-efficients of either (we are not supposed to use them from out text's)

2. Relevant equations

tan theta = O/A

Fg = mg

Ff = u Fn (u is miu or the frictional co-efficient)

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is a diagram depicting my work so far.
    w8nyah.jpg

I am basically stuck. Any help would be great (formulas, tips, anything)

Thanks guys and gals

Coleman.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    Your diagram misses a coordinate system. Try to think of a coordinate system that would make the problem easier. Specifically, a coordinate system in which one or more of the forces acted entirely in the X or Y direction. Once you break the forces into their x/y components you can then use the equations you listed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook