What is the maximum static friction of my shoe against the wood board?

In summary, the task is to find the maximum static friction between a shoe and a wood board. The shoe slipped at an angle of 29.33 degrees after increasing the slope of the board. The weight of the shoe is 5 Newtons, and its mass is calculated to be 0.51 using the formula Fg = mg. The problem does not provide the coefficients of friction. To solve this, a diagram with a coordinate system is needed to simplify the problem and use the equations tan theta = O/A, Fg = mg, and Ff = uFn.
colemansmith

Homework Statement

Basically, I need to find the maximum static friction of my shoe against a wood board.
I discovered that after increasing the slope of the board, my shoe slipped at an angle of 29.33 degrees. (using tan theta = O/A) O being 42.7 cm and A being 76 cm. The shoe has a weight of 5 Newtons. I calculated the mass of the shoe by using the formula Fg = mg, where Fg = 5, and g = 9.8. Thus: 5 = m(9.8) which equals 0.51.
A quick recap:
theta = 29.33 degrees
weight (Fg) = 5
mass = 0.51

I am supposed to find the Maximum Static Friction of my shoe against the wood. I do not[b/] know the co-efficients of either (we are not supposed to use them from out text's)

Homework Equations

tan theta = O/A

Fg = mg

Ff = u Fn (u is miu or the frictional co-efficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a diagram depicting my work so far.
w8nyah.jpg

I am basically stuck. Any help would be great (formulas, tips, anything)

Thanks guys and gals

Coleman.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram misses a coordinate system. Try to think of a coordinate system that would make the problem easier. Specifically, a coordinate system in which one or more of the forces acted entirely in the X or Y direction. Once you break the forces into their x/y components you can then use the equations you listed.

Hello Coleman,

Based on the information provided, we can calculate the maximum static friction using the formula Ff = uFn, where Ff is the maximum static friction, u is the frictional coefficient, and Fn is the normal force.

To find the normal force, we can use the formula Fn = mgcos(theta), where m is the mass of the shoe and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Substituting the values we have, we get:
Fn = (0.51)(9.8)cos(29.33) = 4.44 N

Now, we can use this value of Fn to calculate the maximum static friction:
Ff = uFn
Ff = u(4.44)
Ff = 4.44u

Since we do not know the frictional coefficient, we can rearrange the equation to solve for u:
u = Ff/4.44

So, the maximum static friction of your shoe against the wood board is 4.44u, where u is the coefficient of friction.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best, (Scientist)

1. What is maximum static friction?

Maximum static friction is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move along a surface. It is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is maximum static friction calculated?

Maximum static friction is calculated using the formula μs × N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of static friction is a constant value that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the maximum static friction?

The maximum static friction depends on the coefficient of static friction, the normal force, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. It also varies with the angle of incline, as well as the temperature and humidity of the environment.

4. How does maximum static friction differ from kinetic friction?

Maximum static friction refers to the force required to overcome the initial resistance and start the motion of an object, while kinetic friction refers to the force required to keep the object in motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is usually lower than the coefficient of static friction.

5. Why is understanding maximum static friction important?

Understanding maximum static friction is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as designing structures and machines, predicting the behavior of objects on different surfaces, and developing materials with desired frictional properties. It also helps in preventing accidents and injuries caused by sliding or slipping objects.