Maximum Strain of Steel in Space Elevator Design | Physics Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about a final project in physics on space elevators. The student is having trouble understanding how to calculate the maximum height of a steel rod before it tears itself down. They mention using the equation F/A=E*strain, with F/A being 500x10^6 for steel and E being 200x10^6. However, they are unsure how to calculate the strain without knowing the initial length or change in length. The responder suggests using the stress, P/A, instead and looking up the density of steel to calculate the breaking stress at the top of the rod. The student asks for clarification on how to calculate the breaking stress, to which the responder suggests using the 500 Mpa value provided.
exibo177

Homework Statement

Alright, so I have this final project in physics which was due yesterday and I'm turning it in late because i have a problem with understanding one thing.
so the project it about space elevators and the teacher asked me to make calculations about what is the maximum height of strongest modern material (steel) as a rod, until it tears itself down...

Homework Equations

I think of using the equation:
F/A=E*strain

The Attempt at a Solution

F/A for steel is 500x10^6
and E for steel is 200x10^6

i don't know how to calculate strain though, as i don't know initial length or change in length so could you please help me with this? with explanations

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to look at the strain, only the stress, P/A. Look up the density of steel and caculate the length at which its breaking stress will be exceeded at the top of the rod.

PhanthomJay said:
You don't need to look at the strain, only the stress, P/A. Look up the density of steel and caculate the length at which its breaking stress will be exceeded at the top of the rod.
Alright, but how do i calculate the breaking stress??

exibo177 said:
Alright, but how do i calculate the breaking stress??
I guess you can use the 500 Mpa value you listed.

Hi there,

The maximum strain of steel in a space elevator design is an important factor to consider. Strain is a measure of how much a material deforms under stress, and it can be calculated using the equation you mentioned: F/A=E*strain. In this equation, F is the force applied to the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the material, and E is the modulus of elasticity for the material.

In order to calculate the maximum strain of steel in a space elevator design, you will need to know the force and cross-sectional area of the steel rod. The force will depend on the weight of the elevator and any additional loads it may experience. The cross-sectional area will depend on the diameter of the steel rod used in the design.

Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation and solve for the maximum strain. Keep in mind that the maximum strain will be the point at which the material starts to deform significantly or fail completely. This is an important factor to consider in the design of a space elevator, as it could affect the safety and stability of the structure.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of maximum strain in a space elevator design. If you need more assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or a tutor for further guidance. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the maximum strain of steel?

The maximum strain of steel is the point at which the material starts to deform permanently and can no longer return to its original shape.

2. How is the maximum strain of steel determined?

The maximum strain of steel is determined through tensile testing, where a sample of the steel is pulled until it breaks and the amount of strain at that point is measured.

3. What factors affect the maximum strain of steel?

The maximum strain of steel can be affected by factors such as the type and composition of the steel, as well as the temperature and rate of loading during testing.

4. What is the significance of knowing the maximum strain of steel?

Knowing the maximum strain of steel is important for engineers and designers to ensure that the material is not pushed beyond its limits and to ensure the safety and reliability of structures and products made from steel.

5. Can the maximum strain of steel be increased?

The maximum strain of steel is determined by its properties and cannot be increased. However, by selecting the right type and composition of steel, the maximum strain can be optimized for specific applications.