Maximum Tangential Speed of Laundry in Washing Machine Spin Cycles

In summary, the spin cycles of a washing machine have two angular speeds, 448rev/min and 619rev/min. The internal diameter of the drum is 0.670m. The ratio of the maximum radial force on the laundry for the higher angular speed to that for the lower speed is 1.91, and the ratio of the maximum tangential speed of the laundry for the higher angular speed to that for the lower speed is 1.38. The laundry's maximum tangential speed is 3.46m/s and its maximum radial acceleration is 207.365rev/min.
makeAwish
Homework Statement

The spin cycles of a washing machine have two angular speeds, 448rev/min and 619rev/min . The internal diameter of the drum is 0.670m.

a. What is the ratio of the maximum radial force on the laundry for the higher angular speed to that for the lower speed?

b. What is the ratio of the maximum tangential speed of the laundry for the higher angular speed to that for the lower speed?

c.Find the laundry's maximum tangential speed .

d.Find the laundry's maximum radial acceleration, in terms of g.

The attempt at a solution

I have found the answer ro part a and b, which are 1.91 and 1.38 respectively.
But how do i find part c?

can someone help me pls? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are angular and tangential speed related?

v = r * omega

yah. i have found linear speed of the higher omega to be 3.456 m/s and that of the lower omega to be 2.5013 m/s. that's how i get part a and b answer..

but for part c, the ans is not 3.456 m/s.. Then i duno wad to do le..

janettaywx said:
yah. i have found linear speed of the higher omega to be 3.456 m/s and that of the lower omega to be 2.5013 m/s.
Show how you got those answers. What did you get for omega?

Doc Al said:
Show how you got those answers. What did you get for omega?

omega is as given, 619 rev/min and 448rev/min?
so v = (0.67/2)(619) = 207.365 rev/min = 3.46m/s
and v = (0.67/2)(448) = 150.08 rev/min = 2.5013m/s

hmm.. correct?

No, not correct.
janettaywx said:
v = r * omega
To use this equation, omega must be in radians/second.

oh! yah! okay, i got it :) thanks!

but for the last part, how to find the radial accel?

if i use a = v^2/r, I'm finding tangential accel too rite?

janettaywx said:
if i use a = v^2/r, I'm finding tangential accel too rite?
That formula gives you the radial (centripetal) acceleration. (There's no tangential acceleration in this problem.)

okay thanks a lot! :):)

1. What is maximum tangential speed?

Maximum tangential speed refers to the maximum velocity or speed that an object can reach while rotating around a central axis. It is the speed of an object at its furthest point from the axis of rotation.

2. How is maximum tangential speed calculated?

Maximum tangential speed can be calculated by multiplying the radius of rotation by the angular velocity of the object. The formula is v = rω, where v is the tangential speed, r is the radius, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect maximum tangential speed?

The maximum tangential speed of an object is affected by the radius of rotation and the angular velocity. Objects with a larger radius or faster angular velocity will have a higher maximum tangential speed.

4. What is the difference between tangential speed and tangential velocity?

Tangential speed refers to the magnitude of the speed of an object rotating around a central axis, while tangential velocity refers to the direction of the object's motion at a specific point in time. Tangential velocity is a vector quantity, while tangential speed is a scalar quantity.

5. How is maximum tangential speed important in real-world applications?

Maximum tangential speed is important in many real-world applications, such as in the design of amusement park rides, centrifuges, and car engines. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of objects in circular motion and in calculating the forces acting on them.