Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum temperature

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    so my physics teacher once told me that no one has calculated the maximum temperature reachable. I thought if particles are moving in the speed of light, since the speed of light is the maximum speed reachable, then the average kinetic energy of particle is the maximum temperature. He replied that it involves quantum mechanics and blahblahblah but I didn't really understand it. Can anybody explain to me why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

xts

You don't need quantum mechanics for that. Special Relativity is sufficient.
    Temperature is related to average energy of particles, and particle energy is not limited. Only its velocity is limited, but as the particle velocity goes close to c its mass rises, allowing to reach any energy you like.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You can always add energy to something, no matter how close it gets to the speed of light. There is no maximum that it can be at, so in that view of temperature there is no max.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4
    Would not he maximun temperature be that that at the moment of the Big Bang?
    I cannot see energy becoming more "concentrated" than at that time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook