1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Tension Question

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The maximum tension the string can have without breaking is Tmax. Derive an expression for Vmax, the maximum speed the ball can have at point Q without breaking the string.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Vc=(mv^2)/r
    T=mg+ma
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I could do T+mg=mv^2/r because mv^2/r-mg would give you the max speed to keep the same tension and anything great would produce a greater tension that the string doesn't have causing it to break. So, I pulled out a common factor in m and got a common denominator giving me m((v^2-gr)/r)=T

IMG_3397.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2
    Sorry for the size of the pic. If you click on it it will expand.

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    Careful, the equation you have is incorrect -- tension and weight force act in opposite directions at point Q, so this needs to be reflected in their signs.

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4
    Thats what I thought at first but wanted to try something new. So is it the same thing I have put down but with a plus sign?

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5
    What I mean is that you have this:

but T and mg cannot have the same sign. There has to be a negative somewhere on the left.

7. Feb 9, 2014 #6
    -T+mg=mv^2/r ?

8. Feb 9, 2014 #7
    No, you're mixing up your signs. Start with this:

At Q, which way do both forces point, and which way does the acceleration point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted