Determining T and Theta in a 10kN Pulley System

In summary, the maximum force of the block, T, and the angle theta must be determined in this problem involving a pulley and two ropes with equal maximum tension forces of 10kN. To solve for the unknowns, two equations in two unknowns can be created by balancing the forces. One approach is to assume that T is the maximum value of 10kN and solve for the other tension and theta. If the other tension is less than 10kN, that is the final answer. If it is greater than 10kN, the process must be repeated with the other tension set to 10kN. The equations for balancing the forces involve trigonometric functions of the angles and the magnitude of the
Ry122
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Q5.jpg
The maximum force of the block, T, must be determined. The 2nd rope that the pulley is attached to has the same maximum tension force as the rope of the pulley which is 10kN.
Theta also needs to be determined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you possibly write the sum of all the forces on the pulley and set it equal to zero? There are two unknown tensions in the problem, T and the unnamed tension between the pulley and the support point. Balancing the forces should give you two equations in two unknowns.

is this what you mean?
make T = 10 since it will undergo the highest tension.
change in y = 10cos0-w=0
how do i do the x component?

I'm not even completely sure what your original question means. I was hoping if you started solving it I could figure that out, but I guess I was wrong. Why T=10? y=10cos0-w=0 looks kind of like a force balance equation for the weight. Is that what it's supposed to be? How about balancing the forces on the pulley?

Dick said:
I'm not even completely sure what your original question means.

The way I interpret it is the following: There are three unknowns (the two tensions and the angle) and the constraint that neither tension must be over 10 kN.

The approach I would suggest would be to first assume that the tension T is the maximum value, 10 kN. And then solve for the other tension and the angle theta. If the other tension is less than 10 KN then that's it, that's the final answer to the problem.
If the other tension is above 10 kN, one has to start all over again by setting that other tension equal to 10kN and finding T and theta.

nrqed said:
The way I interpret it is the following: There are three unknowns (the two tensions and the angle) and the constraint that neither tension must be over 10 kN.

The approach I would suggest would be to first assume that the tension T is the maximum value, 10 kN. And then solve for the other tension and the angle theta. If the other tension is less than 10 KN then that's it, that's the final answer to the problem.
If the other tension is above 10 kN, one has to start all over again by setting that other tension equal to 10kN and finding T and theta.

Ah! That makes sense, thanks.

nrqed said:

this is what I had in mind but i don't know how to solve for the other tension. Can you show me how to do that?

You have a direction (angle) and magnitude of each of the three forces acting on the pulley. Split each into x and y components. You'll need to use a trig function of the angles.

Last edited:
This is what I came up with
sum of y components = 10cos0 +Fw + bcos30
sum of x components = bsin30 + 10sin0
I can't solve it because there's 3 unknowns

Ok, I'm guessing you are using b as the unknown tension and the symbol '0' to represent 'theta' (that's not a very good choice - just write e.g. cos(theta)). If that's the case then you are missing some signs. For example, one of the x forces should be positive and the other negative. They are pointing in opposite directions. Not all of the y forces are pointing in the same direction either. As for the other unknown 'Fw', the tensions on the two sides of the pulley are equal. So Fw isn't unknown, it's the same as T. Now there are two unknowns, b and theta.

yes b = unknown tension
Assuming T and Fw are both negative forces then
-10cos(theta)-10+bcos30=0
bsin30-10sin(theta)=0
Is this correct?
The answer I got was 60 degrees.

Last edited:
Yes, the equations are correct. And, yes, I seem to get 60 degrees as well.

No matter what value I have for T the answer is always 60 degrees. Should this matter?

No, you finally wind up with an equation for theta in which the T cancels out. This is a good thing. Is b>10kN? If so you will have to resolve the problem with b=10kN and then figure out what T is. If everything varies in proportion, this will save you a lot of time.

Is there a way to solve for b without having to make theta the subject of the equation.

Ry122 said:
Is there a way to solve for b without having to make theta the subject of the equation.

Solve one equation for sin(theta) and the other for cos(theta). Square and add them. sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1. Poof, no more theta.

-10cos(theta)-10+bcos30=0
bsin30-10sin(theta)=0

Im beginning to doubt that these equations are correct.
I think that either the -10 or the -10cos(theta) shouldn't be in there because they are the same force. Pulleys just change the direction of the force.
Does anyone agree with me?

Ry122 said:
Does anyone agree with me?

I don't. Those two terms are vertical components of two 10kN forces pointing in different directions. You were almost done with this problem. What's bothering you?

1. What is the formula for determining the tension (T) in a 10kN pulley system?

The formula for determining the tension in a pulley system is T = W/(2sinθ), where T is the tension, W is the weight being lifted, and θ is the angle of the rope.

2. How do you calculate the angle (θ) in a 10kN pulley system?

The angle in a pulley system can be calculated by taking the inverse sine of (W/2T), where W is the weight and T is the tension.

3. What is the significance of determining T and θ in a 10kN pulley system?

Determining the tension and angle in a pulley system is important in understanding the forces and mechanics involved in lifting and moving objects. It can also help in designing and optimizing pulley systems for various applications.

4. Can the tension in a 10kN pulley system be greater than 10kN?

Yes, the tension in a pulley system can be greater than the weight being lifted. This is due to the mechanical advantage provided by the pulleys, which can amplify the force applied to the rope.

5. How does friction affect the calculation of T and θ in a 10kN pulley system?

Friction can affect the calculation of T and θ in a pulley system by introducing additional forces that must be taken into account. These forces can vary depending on the type and condition of the pulleys, as well as the materials and weight of the objects being lifted.