Calculate Tension in String for 1.49 kg Mass with 3.1 m/s2 Acceleration

In summary, the mass of 1.49 kg is suspended from a string pulled upward with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s2. Using the equation T = m(a + g), the tension in the string is calculated to be 19.221 N. The mistake in getting a wrong answer was due to mistakenly using kN instead of N as the unit for force.
Amel

Homework Statement

A 1.49 kg mass is suspended from a string which is pulled upward. The mass accelerates upwards with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s2. What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

Fnet= T + Fg =ma

so

T = m(a + g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I pluged in the numbers

T = (1.49kg)(3.1m/s2+(9.89m/s2)

and I got 19.221 kN but its wrong.

The title for this is wrong I was going to ask another question originally.

Physics news on Phys.org
3.1 m/s^2 is accelerating the mass upwards. Ask yourself, what direction is the 9.81 m/s^2 acting in? Draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the mass.

Thanks
Matt

I know gravity is downwards but there is a problem in the book just like this and this is how they get to that equation.

T + Fg = ma

so since Fg is negative

T - mg =ma

T = ma+mg

T = m(a+g)

I know that gravity was negative but that's why they added mg over to the other side.

Yes, sorry I looked right past that. Not sure where you went wrong then. Are you close to the correct answer?

Thanks
Matt

It just says 19.221 kN is wrong it doesen't tell me anything else. Are my units right? I don't get why I am getting this wrong.

The units are correct. N = kg*m/s^2.

Not sure why it isn't right. Maybe someone can help us both out. LOL

Thanks
Matt

I was getting it wrong because I was putting kN instead of N. I missed that the book converted their answer to kN, Thanks I needed to see N = kg*m/s^2 to catch my mistake.

LOL geeze I missed it too. Whoops.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the formula for calculating tension in a string?

The formula for calculating tension in a string is T = m x a, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I determine the mass and acceleration values to use in the formula?

In this scenario, the mass of the object is given as 1.49 kg and the acceleration is given as 3.1 m/s2. These values can be obtained from the given information or by conducting an experiment.

3. Why is it important to calculate tension in a string?

Calculating tension in a string is important because it helps determine the stability and safety of a system. It also allows for the proper design and functioning of machines and structures.

4. Is tension the same as weight?

No, tension and weight are not the same. Weight is the force due to gravity acting on an object, while tension is the force exerted by a string or rope to hold an object in place or keep it in motion.

5. Can the tension in a string ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the tension in a string can be greater than the weight of an object if the object is accelerating or if there are other forces acting on the string, such as friction. However, in a static scenario where the object is not moving, the tension would be equal to the weight of the object.