1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Tension

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.49 kg mass is suspended from a string which is pulled upward. The mass accelerates upwards with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s2. What is the tension in the string?

2. Relevant equations

Fnet= T + Fg =ma

so

T = m(a + g)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I pluged in the numbers

T = (1.49kg)(3.1m/s2+(9.89m/s2)

and I got 19.221 kN but its wrong.

The title for this is wrong I was going to ask another question originally.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    3.1 m/s^2 is accelerating the mass upwards. Ask yourself, what direction is the 9.81 m/s^2 acting in? Draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the mass.

Thanks
    Matt

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    I know gravity is downwards but there is a problem in the book just like this and this is how they get to that equation.

T + Fg = ma

so since Fg is negative

T - mg =ma

T = ma+mg

T = m(a+g)

I know that gravity was negative but thats why they added mg over to the other side.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    Yes, sorry I looked right past that. Not sure where you went wrong then. Are you close to the correct answer?

Thanks
    Matt

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5
    It just says 19.221 kN is wrong it doesen't tell me anything else. Are my units right? I don't get why im getting this wrong.

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
    The units are correct. N = kg*m/s^2.

Not sure why it isn't right. Maybe someone can help us both out. LOL

Thanks
    Matt

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    I was getting it wrong because I was putting kN instead of N. I missed that the book converted their answer to kN, Thanks I needed to see N = kg*m/s^2 to catch my mistake.

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8
    LOL geeze I missed it too. Whoops.

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook