Maximizing Triangle Area: Proving Equilateral Triangles Have the Largest Area

• Thread starter self_study
  • Start date
In summary, to show that the maximum area of a triangle corresponds to the triangle being equilateral, we can use the arithmetic mean-geometric mean inequality along with the formula for area of a triangle, A = xy/2 and A = sqrt(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-x)). To find the maximum area, we need to make the derivative of the area with respect to x equal to 0 and show that x=a=b. This can be proven by assuming a perimeter and finding the largest area, using the principles of maxima and minima.
self_study
Show that the maximum area of a triangle corresponds to the triangle being equilateral.

I start by making y the height of the triangle and x a leg.
We have two formulas (for area)

A = xy/2
A = sqrt(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-x))

I'm thinking that in order to find the maximum, we must make dA/dx = 0 and show that x=a=b . Any suggestions on how to do this?

Forgive me if this is really easy, I've been out of school for some time and have forgotten alot--trying to learn again.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use the arithmetic mean-geometric means inequality: [tex] \frac{a+b}{2} \geq \sqrt{ab} [/tex][tex] (s-a)(s-b)(s-c) \leq (\frac{(s-a)+(s-b)+(s-c)}{3})^{3} [/tex]

Last edited:
Are you trying to find the maximum-area triangle with a given perimeter? You have to specify the terms of the problem. There is no such thing as just a plain "maximum-area" triangle since you can always make a triangle larger.

Hmmm...yes. I was thinking that showing, given legs x a b, that the triangle has a maximum area when x=a=b, and that proving this first was a necessary step to the problem. "Assume a perimeter of 30 and find the largest area.", can be done in the head, but I wan't to figure out how to prove it.

So, the chapter I'm working on teaches maxima and minima, and it seems logical that the problem involves finding the derivative of the area with respect to x (one leg) and finding the maximum of that derivative. I'm just having a problem figuring-out what that formula is to derive.

Last edited:

1. What is the maximum/triangle problem?

The maximum/triangle problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum value of a function or the maximum area of a triangle given certain constraints. It is often used in optimization and geometry problems.

2. How do you solve the maximum/triangle problem?

The maximum/triangle problem can be solved using various methods such as calculus, geometry, and algebra. The specific method used will depend on the given constraints and the type of maximum/triangle problem being solved.

3. What are some real-world applications of the maximum/triangle problem?

The maximum/triangle problem has various real-world applications, such as determining the maximum area of a garden given a certain amount of fencing, finding the optimal angle for a ramp, and maximizing profits for a business with limited resources.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving the maximum/triangle problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving the maximum/triangle problem include not considering all the given constraints, using incorrect formulas or methods, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully review the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the maximum/triangle problem be solved using computer programs?

Yes, the maximum/triangle problem can be solved using computer programs, especially if the problem involves complex calculations or a large number of variables. There are also specific software programs designed to solve optimization and geometry problems, which can be used to solve the maximum/triangle problem efficiently.