Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum value of f(r)

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    given:[tex]
    f(r)=x ^{2}+3y ^{2} +2z ^{2} [/tex]
    The task was to calculate at the point (2,3,1): the grad of f, tangent plane, directional derivative in the direction (2,-1,0) but also to find the maximum value of f subject to the condition that.
    [tex] r ^{2} =1[/tex]
    I've done all except the last part, I have no idea what I am supposed to do here, and I don't really understand what they want.
    Please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I don't either because there is not "r" given. If I had to guess it would be either [itex]r= x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex], although I would be inclined to use "[itex]\rho[/itex]", or [itex]r= x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex].

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    Why do you write "f(r)" when f is a function of x,y,z and can not be written as a function of the radius?
    To find the maximum you should probably use the Langrange multiplier method (find points where gradient is normal to the set on which f should be optimized).
    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multipliers" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 14, 2009 #4
    It is what i have in the exercise...
    I also have problems distinguishing r and the x+y+z stuff. How would you treat it?
    So supposing r^2=1=x^2+y^2+z^2, should I then take the gradient of f(r) at the given point to find the value of the langrange multiplayer?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. Mar 14, 2009 #5
    Apply the Langrange multiplier method (as in the wikipedia article or maybe in your notes/textbook) to the function f(x,y,z)=x^2+3y^2+2z^2 and the constraint g(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2=1. You have x,y,z instead of just x,y as in the wikipedia article, but you should be able to adapt the formulas easily.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6
    I'm still really confused how to do this. Since I get the gradient of f and the constraint function g in terms of (2x+2xlambda, 6y+2ylambda,4z+2zlambda) It seems to imply that lambda has to be 3 different values at the same time as the variables get reduced. To keep the variables I can take as stated in the exercise at the point f(2,3,1) but does that make any sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook