1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Value of gradient

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    when u=-0.6i+0.8j, Du f(1,2)=? gradient f=(18,9)
    I use unit vector dot (-0.6,0.8) dotted with the gradient f, which turns out to be -3.6
    so here is the question. A: the maximum value of Dv f(1,2) is=?
    B: this maximum occurs when v=(?,?)
    I'm confued with the Dv thing. For my guess is that I should use (1,2) to creat a unit vector which is (1/sqrt5, 2/sqrt5), and use that unit vetor dotted with the gradient f, which gives me the maximum value of Dv f(1,2)
    then i will find a vector that its dot product with ( 1/sqrt5, 2/sqrt5) is 0, and tha should be the direction of V which is the answer for part B

Am I doing this right? plaese help me out. I've been looking into my text book but couldn't find the symbol Dv, they all used Du. Thank u
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Directional Derivatives

Directional Derivatives

Directional derivatives of $f(x,y)$ are, for unit vectors [tex]\vec{u}[/tex], are defined by:

[tex]D_{\vec{u}}f(x,y) = \vec{u}\cdot \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)[/tex]​

where [tex]\cdot[/tex] denotes the dot product. To see when the maximum value of the directional derivatives occurs, consider the magnitude of the directional derivative, recalling that [tex]\left|\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v} \right| = \left|\vec{u}\right|\cdot \left|\vec{v} \right|\cos \theta[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the acute angle between the vectors we have that

[tex]\left| D_{\vec{u}}f(x,y)\right| = \left| \vec{u}\cdot \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right| = \left| \vec{u}\right|\cdot\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|\cos \theta = 1\cdot\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|\cos \theta = \left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|\cos \theta[/tex]​

since [tex]\left| \vec{u}\right| =1[/tex] since [tex]\vec{u}[/tex] is a unit vector; consider that the quantity [tex] \left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|\cos \theta[/tex] is maximized when [tex]\cos \theta =1[/tex], i.e. when [tex]\theta =0[/tex] namely when the vectors [tex]\vec{u}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{\nabla}f (x,y)[/tex] are paralell. This occurs if [tex]\vec{u} = \frac{\vec{\nabla}f (x,y)}{\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|}[/tex] which is a unit vector paralell to [tex]\vec{\nabla}f (x,y)[/tex]. The maximum value is then

[tex]D_{\frac{\vec{\nabla}f (x,y)}{\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|}}f(x,y) = \frac{\vec{\nabla}f (x,y)}{\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|}\cdot \vec{\nabla}f (x,y) = \frac{\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|^{2}}{\left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|} = \left| \vec{\nabla}f (x,y)\right|[/tex]​
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?