Maximizing Volume: Rectangular Box in Hemisphere | Homework Problem

In summary: So in summary, you are trying to maximize xyz^2 and the equation for a sphere is x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} = R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello:

This is a max/min problem. I am asked to find the rectangular box of maximum volume inscribed in a hemisphere of radius R.

Homework Equations

So I am wondering if I have set up this correctly. If say my length is x, width is y, and height is z. So, I would have max(xyz). And then would I have [tex]R^{2}-\frac{x^{2}}{4}-\frac{y^{2}}{4} = z^{2}[/tex] I am not sure if this is the correct relationship. And then my function would be: f(x, y) = [tex]xy(r^{2}-\frac{x^{2}}{4}-\frac{y^{2}}{4})[/tex]

I think I can maximize xyz using xyz^2.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, what method are you aiming to use in order to maximize [tex]xyz[/tex]? You need to be clear in your own mind what you are going to do with f.

Setting up the problem is usually a matter of defining your constraints. i.e.
What hemisphere is your constraint [tex] R^{2}-\frac{x^{2}}{4}-\frac{y^{2}}{4} = z^{2} [/tex] describing?
Are [tex]x,y,z[/tex] all positive or can some be negative?

Also, before you get going in these problems, do you have a feel for what the correct answer might be?

it's a hemisphere, I would think that z would be all positive because I am assuming that it's the upper hemisphere. I am going to use either Lagrange multiplier's method or the usual gradient = 0 method. I am sure the answer will be some multiple of R.

Yes the answer is likely to involve R somewhere. However, your equation for the hemisphere is slightly off: can you write down the equation for a sphere of radius R in terms of x,y and z?
Once you have that, it is a simple case of restricting z to be positive as you said.

Also, maximizing the volume, V, is equivalent to maximizing V^2 so to simplify algebra you can take x^2 y^2 z^2 rather than xyz^2 which is not necessarily the same

Hello:

Thanks, so would the equation for a sphere be:
[tex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} = R^{2}[/tex]
So then my constraint is [tex]z^{2} = R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}?[/tex]
And then my function would be to maximize:
[tex]x^{2}y^{2}(R^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2})?[/tex]
Thanks.

What is the formula for the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere?

The formula for the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere is V = (2/3)(πr^3) + (lwh), where r is the radius of the hemisphere and l, w, and h are the length, width, and height of the rectangular box.

How do you maximize the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere?

To maximize the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere, you need to find the dimensions of the box that give the largest possible volume. This can be done by setting the derivative of the volume formula equal to zero and solving for the variables.

What are the constraints in maximizing the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere?

The constraints in maximizing the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere are the dimensions of the box, which must fit within the hemisphere, and the total volume of the box, which cannot exceed the volume of the hemisphere.

What are some real-world applications of maximizing the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere?

This type of optimization problem is commonly encountered in engineering and architecture, where maximizing the use of space and materials is important. Examples include designing storage containers, packaging for products, and building structures such as domes and arches.

What are some strategies for solving a problem involving maximizing the volume of a rectangular box in a hemisphere?

Some strategies for solving this type of problem include using calculus to find the maximum volume, using geometric reasoning to determine the optimal dimensions, and using trial and error to test different dimensions and find the optimal solution.