Maximize 2(a-x)(x+√(x^2+b^2)) for Real Numbers | Quadratic Equations Hint

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary: Hi Borek! :smile:Try adding b^2\ -\ b^2 to my last post. :smile:Arrgh. There is nothing like solving different question that was asked. I was looking for x such that the function given gets maximum value. That's for x = \frac {a^2-b^2} {2a}>>\ but{a^2+b^2}:\ is a correct max value.:\Thanks TT :smile:Thanks a lot Tim.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

If x belongs set of real numbers, find the maximum value of [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

All that I could do was to try and diffrentiate the above expression but it yields a polynomial of degree 4. A hint to this question is that it belongs to the Quadratic Equations Chapter. And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]
Please help me. I can't make head or tail out of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
complete the square …

ritwik06 said:
If x belongs set of real numbers, find the maximum value of [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}})[/tex]

A hint to this question is that it belongs to the Quadratic Equations Chapter. And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

You have to complete the square (twice).

Hint: start with the easy bit … the 2ax. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ritwik06! :smile:

You have to complete the square (twice).

Hint: start with the easy bit … the 2ax. :smile:

I didnt get u tim. Coul u please be more explicit...
thanks

ritwik06 said:
I didnt get u tim. Coul u please be more explicit...
thanks

Do you know what "complete the square" means?

If you do … then try it! :smile:

(If you don't, I'll show you an example.)

tiny-tim said:
Do you know what "complete the square" means?

If you do … then try it! :smile:

(If you don't, I'll show you an example.)

I tried this:
help me!
[tex]b^{2}+2ax+2a(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}})-(x+(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}))^{2}[/tex]
Hey, please help. Dont think that I havnt tried it at all. I have done all that I could. Thanks for the help.

ritwik06 said:
I tried this:
help me!
[tex]b^{2}+2ax+2a(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}})-(x+(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}))^{2}[/tex]
Hey, please help. Dont think that I havnt tried it at all. I have done all that I could. Thanks for the help.

ok … two hints:

i] You have two squares to complete, and you need x2 in both of them … so you'll have to split up the -2x2, won't you? :wink:

ii] You know what the answer is, so that gives you a pretty good clue as to what might be left over! :smile:

(And, as I said, get rid of the 2ax first.)

tiny-tim said:
ok … two hints:
i] You have two squares to complete, and you need x2 in both of them … so you'll have to split up the -2x2, won't you? :wink:
ii] You know what the answer is, so that gives you a pretty good clue as to what might be left over! :smile:
(And, as I said, get rid of the 2ax first.)

I have worked more on this problem but yet no results come my way;
[tex]((a+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})-((x-a)^{2})-((x+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})[/tex]

ritwik06 said:
I have worked more on this problem but yet no results come my way;
[tex]((a+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})-((x-a)^{2})-((x+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})[/tex]

ok …

try [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}}) = a^2\ -\ (a-x)^2\ -\ x^2\ +\ 2(a-x)\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}}[/tex] :smile:

ritwik06 said:
And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]

It is not a correct answer.

But I must admit I have no idea how to complete these squares. Not that I am surprised, I am mathematically challenged. I have solved it by brute force, which was much easier then expected.

completing the square

Borek said:
It is not a correct answer.

But I must admit I have no idea how to complete these squares. Not that I am surprised, I am mathematically challenged. I have solved it by brute force, which was much easier then expected.

Hi Borek! :smile:

Try adding [itex]b^2\ -\ b^2[/itex] to my last post. :smile:

Arrgh. There is nothing like solving different question that was asked. I was looking for x such that the function given gets maximum value. That's for

[tex]x = \frac {a^2-b^2} {2a}[/tex]

but

[tex]{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

is a correct max value.

Thanks TT :smile:

Thanks a lot Tim.
I had got my answer the day you had posted your second last reply.
Thank you very very much. I am sorry for xpressing my gratitude a bit late. Thanks again.

What is the purpose of maximizing 2(a-x)(x+√(x^2+b^2)) for real numbers?

The purpose of maximizing this expression is to find the maximum value it can achieve for certain values of a, x, and b. This can be useful in solving real-world problems or in optimizing mathematical equations.

What are the steps for maximizing 2(a-x)(x+√(x^2+b^2)) for real numbers?

The steps for maximizing this expression include expanding the expression, simplifying it, finding the critical points by setting the derivative equal to 0, and finally evaluating the function at the critical points to determine the maximum value.

Can this expression be maximized for any real numbers a, x, and b?

No, this expression can only be maximized for certain values of a, x, and b. For example, if a=0 and b=1, the expression cannot be maximized as it will always be equal to 0.

What is the significance of the hint "quadratic equations" in the title?

The hint "quadratic equations" refers to the fact that the expression being maximized is a quadratic function, which means it follows the general form of ax^2 + bx + c. This knowledge can be helpful in solving the problem as it allows us to use techniques specific to quadratic equations.

How can maximizing 2(a-x)(x+√(x^2+b^2)) for real numbers be applied in real life?

This type of problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in economics to determine the maximum profit a company can achieve, in engineering to optimize the design of a structure, or in physics to find the maximum velocity of an object. It can also be used in mathematical proofs and in general problem-solving.