Maximum velocity of a piston

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum velocity of a piston in simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of ±4.73 cm and a mass of 1.733 kg when the engine is running at a rate of 4380 rev/min. The correct formula to use is Vmax=Aw, where w=2pi*f and f=1/T. The correct calculation is 2pi*73 rev/s*0.0473 m, resulting in an answer close to 20 m/s.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A piston in an automobile engine is in simple harmonic motion. Its amplitude of oscillation from the equilibrium (centered) position is ±4.73 cm and its mass is 1.733 kg. Find the maximum velocity of the piston when the auto engine is running at the rate of 4380 rev/min.
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Vmax=Aw

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to take the Amplitude (.0437 m) and multiply it by the angular frequency. I first converted it into revolutions per second and then divided 2pi by the answer I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bearbull,w=2pif.

And f=1/T and T=4380 rev/min= 73 rev/s?

Got it wrong again,

Vmax=(.0437m)(2pi(1/73rev/s))

f=4380r/min=4380/60 revs/second=73r/s

Last edited:
Bearbull24.5 said:
And f=1/T and T=4380 rev/min= 73 rev/s?

This part is wrong. Remember 1 rev = 2pi.
So you multiply by 2pi, and then 1 min = 60 seconds. So you divide by 60 seconds. I did not get 73 rev/s. I got another number.

w=2pitimes73

I did 2pi*73 rev/s and then multiplied it by my amplitude (.0437 m). Got it wrong.

Bearbull24.5 said:
I did 2pi*73 rev/s and then multiplied it by my amplitude (.0437 m). Got it wrong.

What answer did you get and what should the answer be?

Dadface said:
What answer did you get and what should the answer be?

I got 20.043989 and I have no idea what the correct answer is supposed to be. I only have one more chance to get it correct

so you carried out the following calculation:
2 times 3.142(pi)times73times 0.0473.I picked up my calculator and did it and got an answer close to yours but not the same.Try again and report back here before you submit your answer.

Haha. Had the numbers mixed up. Thanks

Bearbull24.5 said:
Haha. Had the numbers mixed up. Thanks

I'm always doing that:smile:

1. What is the definition of maximum velocity of a piston?

The maximum velocity of a piston is the highest speed at which the piston can move within its cylinder.

2. How is the maximum velocity of a piston measured?

The maximum velocity of a piston is typically measured by attaching a sensor to the piston and recording the speed at which it moves.

3. What factors affect the maximum velocity of a piston?

The maximum velocity of a piston can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the piston, the length and diameter of the cylinder, and the amount of force applied to the piston.

4. Why is the maximum velocity of a piston important?

The maximum velocity of a piston is important because it determines the speed at which the engine or machine can operate. It also affects the efficiency and performance of the engine.

5. How can the maximum velocity of a piston be increased?

The maximum velocity of a piston can be increased by using a lighter piston, reducing friction between the piston and cylinder, and increasing the amount of force applied to the piston.