Maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave

In summary, the homework statement asks what the maximum vibration speed of an element of a string is. The equation y(x,t) = ymsin(kx - wt + Φ) has 11 parts, and the first 10 ask questions about what variables are involved and what their relationships are. The last part asks what the velocity of an element of a string is at a particular time and position.
Jadon

Homework Statement

y(x,t) = (9.00cm)sin((5Πcm-1)x + (3Π rad/s)t - Π/8)
There are 11 parts, and I have answered the first 10 (they include velocity of a wave, amplitude, all that good stuff), but I haven't seen anything in lecture or in the textbook that mention finding maximum vibration speed.

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = ymsin(kx - wt + Φ)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it means by 'vibration speed'? It could mean frequency, but then it would not be asking for a maximum. What else could it be?

The only thing I could think of was taking the derivative of the original equation (not sure whether with respect to x or t) and then setting equal to zero and solving for v (probably with respect to x then) but I would still be stuck with another variable.

Jadon said:
The only thing I could think of was taking the derivative of the original equation (not sure whether with respect to x or t) and then setting equal to zero and solving for v (probably with respect to x then) but I would still be stuck with another variable.
You didn't answer my question. There's no point guessing at procedures until you know what it is you're trying to find.

Ok then, I see what you mean. I believe it means the maximum speed of the element of string. So the speed as the element is at y = 0.

Jadon said:
Ok then, I see what you mean. I believe it means the maximum speed of the element of string. So the speed as the element is at y = 0.
Yes.

Ok so, to find this speed, I would take the derivative of the function as one would do when doing this for oscillations, correct? I just am not sure how to do this with variables x and t inside the cosine. Or am I going the wrong direction?

Jadon said:
Ok so, to find this speed, I would take the derivative of the function as one would do when doing this for oscillations, correct? I just am not sure how to do this with variables x and t inside the cosine. Or am I going the wrong direction?
y is a function of two independent variable, x and t: y = y(x,t). What direction does an element move in? Algebraically, what expression represents the speed of an element at position x and time t?

dx/dt would, if that's what you are asking...but it moves in the y direction. I'm a bit confused on that...

Jadon said:
dx/dt would.
The elements are not moving in the x direction. The wave moves in the x direction, but we're not concerned here with the speed of the wave.
Jadon said:
it moves in the y direction.
Exactly.

So the velocity would be dy/dt, and to get this, take the derivative with respect to t, getting:

dy/dt = 27π(cos((5πcm-1)x + (3π rad/s)t - π/8)

This gives velocity (but still has x and t in it). Wouldn't I have to set the second derivative equal to zero to find the maximum velocity?

Jadon said:
Wouldn't I have to set the second derivative equal to zero to find the maximum velocity?
You could do that, but as you already said it will occur when y = 0. What does that tell you about the argument of the cosine function in your dy/dt formula?

Well if you were to use the second derivative, the sin function would equal 0, so maybe the cosine function equals 1?

If the max is when cosine equals 1, what is that velocity? It looks like you are already done; just make sure your units are correct.

Jadon said:
Well if you were to use the second derivative, the sin function would equal 0, so maybe the cosine function equals 1?
Yes, but as I wrote, you can get that from y = 0, without taking derivatives.

haruspex said:
What does that tell you about the argument of the cosine function in your dy/dt formula?

I understand what you are asking, but I don't understand how to obtain any information from this. From dy/dx = 27π(cos((5πcm-1)x + (3π rad/s)t - π/8) I can't seem to draw any numerical information. Could I get a hint to get in the right direction?

Jadon said:
I don't understand how to obtain any information from this. From dy/dx = 27π(cos((5πcm-1)x + (3π rad/s)t - π/8)
You mean dy/dt, right?
At y(x,t) = 0 you have (9.00cm)sin((5Πcm-1)x + (3Π rad/s)t - Π/8) = 0. What does that tell you about sin((5Πcm-1)x + (3Π rad/s)t - Π/8) at that time and position? And what does that tell you about cos of the same argument? So what do you deduce for dy/dt?

That would tell me that sin-1(0) = 5πcm-1x + (3π rad/s)t - π/8 .
This in turn would tell me that π/8 = 5πcm-1x + (3π rad/s)t and that 1/8 = 5cm-1x + (3rad/s)t. I'm just not sure what direction I should be going, what I am truly solving for.

Jadon said:
That would tell me that sin-1(0) = 5πcm-1x + (3π rad/s)t - π/8 .
This in turn would tell me that π/8 = 5πcm-1x + (3π rad/s)t and that 1/8 = 5cm-1x + (3rad/s)t. I'm just not sure what direction I should be going, what I am truly solving for.
No, it's simpler that that. If sin(theta) = 0, what can you say about cos(theta)?

cos(theta) would equal 1 then, so the maximum vibration speed would be equal to 27π cm/s or rad/s (not quite sure on the units anymore lol).

Jadon said:
cos(theta) would equal 1 then, so the maximum vibration speed would be equal to 27π cm/s or rad/s (not quite sure on the units anymore lol).
Yes.
y is in cms, t is in secs, so dy/dt is cm/s.

Awesome. So replacing that junk with 0, which I "kind of" solved for/set equal to, allows for me to use 0 in the dy/dt equation which gives dy/dt = 27π(cos(0)), which is equal to 27π. Seems logical.

Think about what the units are telling you. You really have 9cm ##\times 3\pi ## rads per second. If ##3\pi## rads per second means 1.5 full cycles per second, and a cycle is from +9cm to -9cm, what is the speed of the string?
I could be wrong, but that is the only way this makes sense to me.

RUber said:
Think about what the units are telling you. You really have 9cm ##\times 3\pi ## rads per second. If ##3\pi## rads per second means 1.5 full cycles per second, and a cycle is from +9cm to -9cm, what is the speed of the string?
Not sure what you are suggesting as the answer. Radians are dimensionless. If an arc of a circle radius 1cm subtends an angle of 2 radians at the centre, the length of the arc is 2cm, not 2cm-radians.

1. What is the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave?

The maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave is determined by its frequency and wavelength. It can be calculated using the equation v = fλ, where v is the velocity, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

2. How is the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave measured?

The maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave can be measured using instruments such as an oscilloscope or a wave analyzer. These instruments measure the frequency and wavelength of the wave and use the above equation to calculate the maximum vibration speed.

3. Does the medium affect the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave?

Yes, the medium through which the wave travels can affect its maximum vibration speed. In denser mediums, such as solids, the wave can travel faster compared to less dense mediums, such as gases.

4. What factors can affect the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave?

Apart from the medium, other factors that can affect the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave include temperature, pressure, and the properties of the material through which the wave is traveling.

5. How does the maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave relate to its amplitude?

The maximum vibration speed of a traveling wave is not directly related to its amplitude. The amplitude of a wave represents the maximum displacement of the medium particles, while the maximum vibration speed represents the maximum speed at which the particles vibrate. However, the amplitude can affect the energy and intensity of the wave, which can indirectly impact the maximum vibration speed.