Max Power of Resistor in 3-Resistor Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with three 100 ohm resistors and a maximum power of 28.0 W. The focus is on finding the maximum voltage for each resistor, which can be calculated using Ohm's law and the total resistance of the circuit.
complexc25

Homework Statement

Three 100 resistors are connected as shown in the figure. The maximum power that can safely be delivered to anyone resistor is 28.0 W.
"[URL=[PLAIN]http://imageshack.us[/URL] [Broken]

Homework Equations

P = VI

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total resistance of the circuit, but i don't know how to get the current, which i need for the voltage

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum current flows through the resistor on the left. So, if you calculate that current (from the power), you can get the voltage by using Ohm's law.

I'm not sure if this is correct.

Could you be a little more clear about what you want to solve? For example do you want voltage across any particular resistor or voltage between A and B?
[tex]P=V^2/R[/tex]

never mind ...i found the answer. What i wanted was the maximum voltage to each resistor.

1. What is the concept behind the maximum power of a resistor in a 3-resistor circuit?

The maximum power of a resistor in a 3-resistor circuit is determined by the amount of current passing through the resistor and the resistance value of the resistor. The higher the current and the lower the resistance, the higher the power dissipated by the resistor.

2. How do I calculate the maximum power of a resistor in a 3-resistor circuit?

The maximum power of a resistor in a 3-resistor circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. It is important to note that this formula only applies when the resistor is the only component in the circuit.

3. Can the maximum power of a resistor be exceeded in a 3-resistor circuit?

Yes, the maximum power of a resistor can be exceeded in a 3-resistor circuit if the current passing through the resistor is higher than the calculated value. This can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail.

4. How does the maximum power of a resistor affect the overall circuit?

The maximum power of a resistor is an important factor to consider in the design of a 3-resistor circuit. If the resistor is not able to handle the power dissipated, it can lead to overheating and failure of the circuit. It is important to choose resistors with appropriate power ratings for the desired application.

5. Are there any factors other than current and resistance that affect the maximum power of a resistor in a 3-resistor circuit?

Yes, the temperature and material of the resistor can also affect its maximum power. Higher temperatures can decrease the power handling capacity of a resistor, while different materials can have different resistivity and therefore different power ratings. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a resistor for a 3-resistor circuit.