1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum voltage

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe a wet cell battery and explain its operation?
    How would would ensure getting maximum voltage. Assume you are only permitted a single cell.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first question, but i don't get how to answer the second question. i know that when a wet cell battery is in a hot climate, the water in a battery will evaporate or accumulate the chemical inside. other than this i have no idea how to answer this question. Also i think using chemical that have large potention Energy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    well if single cell means only one wet cell, then i think i can answer it.

you have to use the standard reduction potentials table to find the half reactions that will react to form the most voltage.

using the table, i get:

(1st half reaction) F2(g) + 2e- [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] 2F- Eo = 2.87Volts

(2nd half reaction) Li(s) [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] Li+ + e- Eo = 3.04 volts

(Cell Redox reaction) 2Li+ + F2(g) [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] 2F- + 2Li(s) Eo = 5.91 volts.

This is the highest voltage possible with a wet cell i think...well hope i helped.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    thanks i understand it now
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    kk glad to help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?