1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum volume question

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    Prove that the maximum volume of a rectangular parallelepiped with a fixed surface area is when it is a cube.

Volume = v, length = l, width = w, height = h and surface area = s. Then we have: v = l*w*h = h^3. s = 2*w*l + 2*w*h + 2*h*l = constant = 6*h^2.

For a maximum to exist [tex] (\frac{{\partial ^2 y}}{{\partial x^2 }})(\frac{{\partial^2 y}}{{\partial x^2}}) - (\frac{{\partial^2 y}}{{\partial x}{\partial t }}) [/tex] > 0.

Where x, y and t are unknown to me. I just need some help to get started. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

bel

I think you might try using the method of Lagrange multipliers, maximizing [tex] f(l, w, h) = v [/tex] under the condtion that [tex] \phi (l, w, h)= s [/tex] where v and s are constants with the multiplier [tex] \lamda [/tex].

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. Aug 8, 2007 #3
    The book that I am using is an introduction to Calculus, which does not have Lagrange multipliers in it. So by asking this question, it would imply that the question can be done without recourse to Lagrange multipliers. So I would think.
    Anyway thanks for the reply.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, You know that the surface area of a given x by y by z parallelogram is 2xy+ 2xz+ 2yz= A and the volume is V= xyz.
    From 2xy+ 2xz+ 2yz= A, you know that z(2x+2y)= A- 2xy so z= (A- 2xy)/(2x+ 2y). That means that, as a function of x and y, V= xy((A- 2xy)/(2x+ 2y))

Now, what does that tell you?

6. Aug 10, 2007 #5
    I can do the following: [tex] \frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial x }} = 0 \\[/tex] and [tex] \frac{{ \partial V}}{{\partial y}} = 0 \\[/tex], and then solve for x and y. To find that [tex] x^2 = Y^2 \\[/tex]. Then I can find an expression for V in terms of z and y only, then [tex]\frac{{ \partial V}}{{\partial z}} = 0 \\ [/tex] and solve for y and z to get: [tex] y^2 = z^2 [/tex] Thanks for the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?