1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Volume

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    I am a little stuck on this problem :frown:

If the total surface area (including the area of the top and bottom ends) of a cylinder is to be kept fixed (=A), what is its maximum possible volume?

For such cylinders of fixed total area, plot Volume(V) v/s Radius(R) clearly indicating the values of R for which the volume is maximum and zero.

The total surface area will be [itex]A = 2\pi R(L + R)[/itex] where L is the length of the cylinder. Here, A = constant and I have to determine the maximum possible volume. I don't know how to proceed, should I express the volume in terms of the area and do something?

Kindly guide me on this...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fixing the area, A, sets up a relationship between the radius R and length L. This then allows you to write down an equation for the volume that involves only one variable (either L or R). From here, it's just the matter of taking a derivative, etc.

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    Thank you so much, I will try it and post my solution soon. :smile:

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4
    Surface area A = constant.
    [tex] A = 2\pi R (L + R)[/tex]

[tex]L = {{A - 2\pi R^2}\over 2\pi R}[/tex]

[tex]V = \pi R^2 L[/tex]

Putting the value of L:
    [tex]V = {AR\over 2} - \pi R^3[/tex]

Solving for dV/dR = 0 for maximum:
    [tex]R = \sqrt{{A\over 6\pi}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{max} = {A\over 2}\sqrt{{A\over 6\pi}} - \pi \left({A \over 6\pi}\right)^{3/2}[/tex]

V = 0 for [tex]R = \sqrt{{A\over 2\pi}}[/tex]

Should I assume some value for A when I plot V v/s R?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?