Answer: Maximum Work Function for 900nm IR Light

In summary: No. The wavelength of the radiation is 900nm. This is not the wavelength of the electron. So, the value you have for the electron kinetic energy is wrong.
babypudding
Maximum work function??

Homework Statement

What is the maximum work function for a surface to emit electrons when illuminated with 900nm infrared light?

Homework Equations

K= 1/2mv2
= hf - work function

wavelength =h/p = h/mv

The Attempt at a Solution

p=h/wavelength
= 6.626 x 10-34 / 900 x 10-9
= 7.362 x 10-28 kgm/s

p=mv
v=p/m
=7.362 x 10-28 / 9.11x10-31
= 1027.66 m/s

K=1/2mv2
=1/2 x 9.11x10-31 x 1027.662
=4.81x10-25 J

frequency x wavelength = c (no sure if this is right, where c is the speed of light)
f= 3x108/ 900 x 10-9
=270

work function= hf- K
= 6.626 x 10-34 x 270 - 4.81x10-25
= -4.81J
My answer looks wrong, so I think I did it wrong. Please lead me to the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org

I imagine they're looking for the workfunction to be the energy of the light at that wavelength since that will be enough to free an electron with no kinetic energy.

So
K=1/2mv2
=4.81x10-25 J

That should be right?

babypudding said:
So
K=1/2mv2
=4.81x10-25 J

That should be right?

No. The wavelength of the radiation is 900nm. This is not the wavelength of the electron. So, the value you have for the electron kinetic energy is wrong.

Read Kurdt's advice again:

I imagine they're looking for the workfunction to be the energy of the light at that wavelength since that will be enough to free an electron with no kinetic energy.

If the material had the biggest possible work function it could have and still give off an electron when illuminated with 900nm radiation, then the electrons released will have K=0. Use this kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect equation to solve for what the work function must be in this case:

[tex]hf=K-\phi[/tex]

Ok. Shouldn't it be hf = K + work function ?
h= 6.626 x 10-34
K=0
f= 3x108 / 900 x10-9 = 3.33x1014

So hf = 0 + work function
work function = 2.21 x 10-19 J

Is this right now?

What is the maximum work function for 900nm IR light?

The maximum work function for 900nm IR light is the minimum amount of energy required to release an electron from a material's surface when exposed to 900nm infrared light. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV).

Why is the maximum work function important?

The maximum work function is an important characteristic of a material because it determines its ability to emit electrons when exposed to light. It is used in various technologies, such as photodetectors and solar cells, to understand how efficiently a material can convert light into electrical energy.

How is the maximum work function measured?

The maximum work function is typically measured using a technique called photoemission spectroscopy. This involves shining light of a specific wavelength onto the material's surface and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons. The maximum work function is then calculated from this energy.

What factors affect the maximum work function?

The maximum work function of a material is affected by several factors, including its composition, crystal structure, and surface properties. For example, materials with a larger bandgap, such as metals, tend to have higher work functions compared to materials with smaller bandgaps, such as semiconductors.

Can the maximum work function be altered?

Yes, the maximum work function of a material can be altered by changing its surface properties through techniques such as doping, surface treatments, or deposition of thin films. This can be useful in tailoring a material's work function for specific applications, such as in electronic devices or energy conversion technologies.