1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum working tensile load

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    I have been given this question by my teacher as part of a quiz and I'm confused on how to start.
    1. Calculate the maximum working tensile load that a 19mm shaft is able to take with a safety factor of 3. Material UTS 470 Mpa

2. Stress = load/area

When it states 'area' what is this the are of? The 19 mm shaft? If so, how do I possibly work it out without any other measurements of the length.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of my attempts.

3. -Stress is the maximum tensile load
    -UTS 470 Mpa means ultimate tensile strength 470 mega pascals?
    -The load is 470 Mpa
    -stress= 470 Mpa/????

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
    You should include the info you have about the safety factor and notice you want to compute a load not a stress.
    I suppose that by 19mm your prof means the diameter or radius of the cross section of the shaft which you should be able to compute using what you are given.

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3
    You don't need to know the length. If the UTS is 470MPa, and the factor of safety is 3, what is the maximum tensile stress that you are allowed to impose of the shaft? If the shaft diameter is 19mm, what is the shaft area? At the maximum allowed tensile stress, what is the tensile force on the shaft?

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4
    What does the 'safety factor of 3' do in terms of this equation? So the formula stress= load/area is not needed to calculate maximum working tensile load? The area of the shaft is 9.5^2 x π = 283.52

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A safety factor of 3 just means that you should arrange the actual stress not to exceed one third of the theoretical limit stress.

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6
    No. It is used. It's just used in the reverse order than what you've been thinking. First you determine the maximum working stress, then you determine the maximum working load. A factor of safety of 3 means that the maximum working stress is equal to the ultimate stress divided by 3.

8. Dec 19, 2013 #7
    How do you go about determining the maximum working load? Is it 470 Mpa?

9. Dec 19, 2013 #8
    It's 470 divided by the safety factor.

10. Dec 20, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The maximum working stress is 470 MPa divided by the safety factor.

I believe the poster was inquiring about the maximum working load, which is a different animal. It's what's required to answer the OP.

11. Dec 20, 2013 #10
    Yipes. You're right. He finally got me confused.

12. Dec 20, 2013 #11
    So the formula for stress = load/area is not needed for this?

13. Dec 20, 2013 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, let's analyze this. You are looking for the maximum load. You know the maximum working stress. You know the size of the shaft. How do we relate stress to load for a shaft?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted