1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximums and Minimums

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the absolute max/min of the function on it's interval.
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{x^2-4}{x^2+4}[/tex]
    Interval: [-4,4]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{x^2-4}{x^2+4}[/tex]

I basically want to find all the critical points, so I set the denominator to zero and found a critical point to be where x = 2i, and x = -2i.

Then I took the derivative of the function as so:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{2x(x^2+4)-2x(x^2-4)}{(x^2+4)^2}[/tex]

Setting the numerator to zero should find where the derivative is equal to zero, but that expands out to this:
    [tex]2x^3+8x-2x^3+8x[/tex]
    Which is basically zero anyway. I was going to try to factor out something from the numerator and denominator (if possible) to cancel it out so I could get something, but I thought I would lose solutions doing that. So here is where I am confused? I tried graphing it, thinking that it would just return the line y=0, but my TI-89 just says "not a function or program, error"?

edit: fixed

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    Hint Hint: 2 negatives make a positive. Look at your expansion again :)

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3
    Ah yeah. Thanks! So the other critical point is 0 then.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your algebra is faulty. The x terms don't cancel. And you probably don't care about imaginary solution in the denominator.

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5
    [tex]2x^3+8x-2x^3+8x=0[/tex]
    from the numerator, works out to be:
    [tex]16x=0[/tex]
    x=0

I was not sure what to do with the imaginary solutions, essentially the only critical point found is at x=0 then I would imagine. Leaving me to check the endpoints and x=0 so find the absolutes correct?

7. Jun 18, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct. The imaginary solutions are irrelevant. They aren't in the real interval [-4,4].

8. Jun 18, 2011 #7
    Alright, I think I got it now. This was the only one in the set of problems that had the possibility of an imaginary solution, and I really wasn't sure if that counted or not.

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?