Maxwell Distrib: Determine Vrms & Temp

• Thread starter itryphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, To find the Vrms for a gas with 15,200 molecules and a mass of 2.00×10^−26 kg with the given distribution of speeds, you need to first find the weighted average of the squares of the speeds. This can be done by taking the sum of all the squared speeds and dividing it by the total number of molecules. Then, take the square root of this value to find the Vrms. After obtaining the Vrms, you can use the equation square root { (3kT) /m} to calculate the effective temperature of the gas.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

A gas consisting of 15,200 molecules, each of mass 2.00×10^−26 kg , has the following distribution of speeds, which crudely mimics the Maxwell distribution:
Number of Molecules
Speed

Determine Vrms for this distribution of speeds.
Given your value for Vrms , what (effective) temperature would you assign to this gas?

Homework Equations

Vrms = square root {Average V^2} or square root {3kT/m}

The Attempt at a Solution

So I squared all the values and then divided by the total number to obrain (Average velocity^2) and then took the square root ...the attempt failed..many thanks to anyone who helps!

Physics news on Phys.org
itryphysics said:
So I squared all the values and then divided by the total number to obrain (Average velocity^2) and then took the square root ...the attempt failed..
You need to first find the weighted average of the squares of the speeds.

what do you mean by "squaring all values"?

Do you weight all speed^2 with their occurence?

so the average of the squares of the speeds was 6.6885*10^5

malawi_glenn said:
what do you mean by "squaring all values"?

Do you weight all speed^2 with their occurence?

sorry for the confusion...i meant squaring all speeds..

and I don't know wht you mean by your second question :S

itryphysics said:
sorry for the confusion...i meant squaring all speeds..

and I don't know wht you mean by your second question :S

then you did not do the weigted average.. look it up

square root { (3kT) /m}

is that the weighted average?

1. How is Vrms calculated in Maxwell distribution?

The Vrms (root mean square velocity) in Maxwell distribution is calculated using the formula:
Vrms = √(3RT/M)
where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas.

2. What is the significance of Vrms in Maxwell distribution?

Vrms represents the average speed of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the distribution of molecular speeds in a gas and is related to other important thermodynamic properties such as pressure and kinetic energy.

3. Can Vrms be greater than the speed of light?

No, Vrms cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can attain. Therefore, Vrms calculated using the Maxwell distribution formula will always be less than the speed of light.

4. How is temperature related to Vrms in Maxwell distribution?

Temperature and Vrms are directly proportional in Maxwell distribution. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, the Vrms of its particles also increases. This relationship is further described by the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas.

5. How is Maxwell distribution used in real-world applications?

The Maxwell distribution is used in various fields of science and engineering, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design and optimization of gas-based technologies such as gas turbines and jet engines. In addition, the Maxwell distribution plays a crucial role in understanding gas behavior in various industrial and environmental processes.