Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT): Band problem

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the user is having trouble with Maxwell v15 and its linear motion and force calculations. They have received a warning message about the objects in their model coming close to the borders of the electromagnetic field area, but not actually touching them. The expert advises to check the positioning and movement of the objects and make sure they are not touching the borders, as well as trying to adjust parameters and settings to see if the warning message disappears. If the objects are not touching the borders, the solution can be trusted, but it is always a good idea to double-check results.
Darion13
Dear all,
I'm a common user of Maxwell v15, though this is the first time I've tried to work with Linear Motion and Force calculation in it.

I've got two solids translating in my model, and they get in a electromagnetic field área. I want to calculate the braking force in each object, so I've assigned the Parameters/Force for each of them.

Though the simulation runs, a warning message "Object touches band! Force calculation unreliable!".

I've checked if it was true, and the solids never touch the borders of the Band (they're in).

So, is something wrong in my model? Is there any way to solve the problem? Can I trust the solution even with this message?

Thanks all!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear user,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about Maxwell v15 and its linear motion and force calculations. As a scientist familiar with this software, I would like to offer some insight and advice.

Firstly, the warning message you received is a common one that appears when the objects in your model come close to the borders of the electromagnetic field area, but do not actually touch them. This can happen due to the discretization of the field area and is not necessarily an indication of an error in your model. However, it is important to check the positioning and movement of your objects to ensure they are not actually touching the borders at any point during the simulation.

If you have confirmed that the objects are not touching the borders, then you can trust the solution despite the warning message. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your results and make sure they make physical sense.

If you are still unsure about the accuracy of your results, you can try adjusting the parameters and settings in your model to see if the warning message disappears. This could include changing the discretization of the field area or adjusting the force calculation parameters.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your simulations. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

What is Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) and how does it work?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) is a software used for electromagnetic simulations and analysis. It uses the finite element method to solve complex electromagnetic problems in 2D. The software allows users to model and analyze various devices and systems, such as motors, transformers, and antennas.

What is the "Band problem" in Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT)?

The "Band problem" in Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) refers to a simulation where the electromagnetic fields are excited by a source and propagate through a material or structure. The goal is to analyze the behavior of the fields, such as the electric and magnetic fields, as they interact with the material.

What types of materials can be modeled in Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) allows for the modeling of a wide range of materials, including conductors, dielectrics, and magnets. Users can also create custom materials with specific properties for their simulations.

What are the advantages of using Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) for electromagnetic simulations?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) offers a user-friendly interface and powerful simulation capabilities. It allows for the analysis of complex electromagnetic problems, including non-linear materials and transient effects. The software also offers a variety of features and tools for post-processing and visualizing simulation results.

Is there a learning curve for using Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) for the first time?

Like any software, there is a learning curve for using Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT). However, the software offers tutorials, online resources, and customer support to help users get started. With practice, users can become proficient in using Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) for their electromagnetic simulations.