1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell Boltzman Distribution, Please help!

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You will recall from our discussion of the Franck-Hertz experiment that the energy difference between the first excited state of mercury and the ground state is 4.86 eV. If a sample of mercury vaporized in a flame contains 1.02×10^20 atoms in thermal equilibrium at 1613 K, calculate the number of atoms in the first excited state. Assume that the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution applies and that the n = 1 (ground) and n = 2 (first excited) states have equal statistical weights.

2. Relevant equations

n2/n1=g(E2)/g(E1)*e^((E1-E2)/(k T))
    k=boltzman constant = (1.3807*10^-23), divide by 1.602*10^-19 to get in eV

3. The attempt at a solution

So I felt like it was almost a plug and chug. The distinct states at n=2, first excited state, is 8. For n=1 g(E1)= 2. Sooo :
    n2/n1=(8/2)*e^((-4.86 eV)/(k*1613))
    I got 2.626*10^-15, so that's the ratio of atoms in the first excited state compared to the ground state? So I just multiply it by the number of atoms 1.02*10^20 and I get 267884 atoms. Answer isn't correct though and I cant figure out what I may be missing.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Have you made use of the last part of this statement?

4. May 3, 2013 #3
    I guess im not too sure of what that means.

5. May 3, 2013 #4
    nmv I got it Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted