1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell Boltzman

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    Hello,

i was given 100 x,y random numbers, and was asked to find:

Using vmin = 0, 5 *vmax as bounds on the x-axis, and P(0) = 0, P(vmax) as bounds on
    the y-axis, generate a set of velocities vi where i = 1,...,n producing a set of random numbers from a distribution function. (When such a distribution function has been integrated so that its integral over all values is 1, it is called a it probability density.) Provide a table with the derived velocities, vi. Describe your procedure by working through the first x, y pair explicitly.

So, in order to generate random numbers, i generated dummy variables,
    x=0.001~5, increasing by 0.001; so 5000 x values
    Then I multiplied my V_max by the x values and called it a V vector.
    for y values, I used the maxwell boltzman formula to find the probability density P(v).

Now, what am I suppose to do with the given 100 x,y sets? I'm really confused....

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2
    After finding the values, I'm asked to

Plot a graph of P(v) versus v for the above region, connecting values of the probability
    density with a smooth curve. Also plot your uniformly-distributed x, y pairs. What fraction
    of these pairs fall under the curve?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook