1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory

1. Oct 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

##(a)## Consider the following action in three space-time dimensions
    ##S_{CS}=\displaystyle \int d^3x\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##
    It is known as the Chern-Simons action.

Demonstrate that it is gauge-invariant.

Show that any solution to the equations of motion for the above action is gauge-equivalent to a trivial solution.

##(b)## Find the equations of motion for the following Maxwell-Chern-Simons action:
    ##S=-\frac{1}{4e^2}\displaystyle \int d^3x F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + \displaystyle \int d^3x\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##

Show that each component of ##F_{\mu\nu}## satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##(a)## The action is gauge invariant if it is invariant under the transformation ##A_\mu \rightarrow A_\mu + \partial_\mu \Lambda##, where ##\Lambda## is a function of the space-time coordinates. Under this transformation, ##S_{CS} \rightarrow S_{CS}' = k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} (A_\mu + \partial_\mu \Lambda) \partial_\nu (A_\rho + \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

##= k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}(A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho + A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_rho \Lambda + \partial_\mu \Lambda\partial_\nu A_\rho + \partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

## =S_{CS} + k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}(A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_rho \Lambda + \partial_\mu \Lambda\partial_\nu A_\rho + \partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

##(*)## Note that ##\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda = - \epsilon^{\mu\rho\nu}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda## by anti-symmetry of ##\epsilon##
    ## =- \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\rho \partial_\nu \Lambda## after renaming indicies
    ## = - \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda## due to the symmetry ##\partial_\nu \partial_\rho=\partial_\rho \partial_\nu##
    ##=0##.

Same argument holds for the last term in the integrand and we are left with ##S_{CS}'=S_{CS} + k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}\partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho##

Applying the product rule backwards and using the same argument as above in ##(*)## we find that ## \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}\partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho = \displaystyle \int d^3x \partial_\mu (\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho)##

Applying the divergence theorem this becomes ##\displaystyle \int dS n_\mu \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho##, where ##n_\mu## is a normal vector pointing outward from the surface, which is a surface integral equal to ##0## under the assumption that the fields fall off sufficiently fast at infinity. Hence the action is gauge-invariant.

The Lagrangian for this action is ##\mathcal{L}_{CS}=\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##. I'm not going to write out the full procedure for getting the equations of motion, but we find that they are
    ##k\epsilon^{\rho\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}=0##

I am unsure what the phrase "gauge equivalent to a trivial solution" means. I know that the equations of motion are gauge-invariant so nothing will change, but I don't really know what it's asking me to do.

##(b)## Again, not going through finding the e.o.m, but we find that they are ##\partial_\mu F^{\mu\nu} + ke^2\epsilon^{\nu\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}=0##

The Klein-Gordon equation is ##(\partial_\mu \partial^\mu + m^2)\phi=0##. I was reading a paper on this theory and it said this can be done by writing ##\tilde{F^\mu}=\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}F_{\nu\rho}## and then the e.o.m. can be written as ##(\partial^\nu \partial_\nu + (ke^2)^2)\tilde{F^\mu}=0##. I have no idea why this is justified.

Any help on the two issues above would be very appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2
  4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    Bump

5. Oct 25, 2014 #4
  6. Oct 27, 2014 #5
    Bump, but I'm guessing there's no point. This is the last time I'll do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted