Calculating Mean Speed using Maxwell Speed Distribution Formula

In summary: This is the answer I was looking for.In summary, the mean speed of molecules of molar mass M at a temperature T is equal to (8RT/piM)^1/2.
kashe

Homework Statement

Confirm that the mean speed of molecules of molar mass M at a temperature T is equal to (8RT/piM)^1/2. Hint: You will need an integral of the form ∫ (where a=0, and b=infinity) x^3*e^(-ax^2) dx = 1/2a^2.

Homework Equations

The Maxwell speed distribution formula we are using is f=F(s)delta s where F(s)=4pi*(M/2piRT)^1/2*s^2*e^(-Ms^2/2RT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the answer to the integral and say a= M/2RT, but that didn't work. I then thought a=M/2piRT, but I couldn't get it to be the correct answer. I don't think I need to do the integral just because it is already done for me, but I am stumped at how to relate the mean speed and this integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normalization constant of the distribution function isn't correct. It should be

[tex]F(s) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}\left(\frac{M}{RT}\right)^3} s^2 e^{-Ms^2/2RT}[/tex]

How do you define the mean speed for molecules ?

The mean speed is the sum off all the speeds of all the molecules divided by the number of molecules. I also know that the mean speed is related to the rms speed of the molecules by the equation mean speed= (8/3pi)^.5 times the rms speed.

Also I have been plugging in numbers and found the equation my book gave to me is equivalent to the normalization constant above.

Last edited:
What do you mean by f=F(s)Δs? Perhaps that's where the confusion is arising.

My point about the normalization constant comes from the fact that

[tex]\int_0^\infty 4\pi\sqrt{\frac{M}{2\pi RT}}s^2e^{-\frac{Ms^2}{2RT}}\,ds = \frac{2\pi R T}{M} \ne 1[/tex]

The f(s) delta s. Is the fraction of molecules between two speeds. The delta s is just the change in speed you have, I.e. if you want the fraction between 300 and 310 m/s, you do the normalization constant with 300 and then multiply it by 10 for the fraction

Ok, I will attempt to integrate the constant you gave then, although I am not sure I know how to do it. I will work with it and post again and see if you can give some guiding help. Thanks.

Ok I am stuck. I tried to integrate the distribution constant but got stuck, and also wondered why I need to do it if in the hint on the problem they gave it to me. Although in the hint I am not sure where "x" went, because when I integrate the constant the "x" term should still be there. Any help on where to start? I tried many things but haven't got anywhere.

What do you mean by "integrate the distribution constant"? The point of my previous posts were to point out that the F(s) you gave in the original post is incorrect, specifically that the constant factor in front was wrong. I gave you F(s) with the correct constant in post #2.

It would help if you'd show us explicitly what you're doing.

Sure. Since the integral was equal to 1/2a^2, it appeared the a value would be equal to M/RT, getting that from the exponent of e. Putting that value in for a however does not yield the answer I want. I then tried to see if integrating that integral in the hint would help me understand, I tried to use integration by parts with u=x^3 and v=e^-x^2. Using the tabular method I never got to 1/2a^2. That took a while but no help. I then thought the hint answer did not include the square root of 2/pi, but that didn't make much sense to me. I then tried to integrate again using u-sub, but did not get a result of 1/2a^2. I am now lost.

I just tried this and got the correct answer...
Using the hint, i.e. 1/2a^2, I made a=M/2RT, and included the terms (square root 2/pi times (M/RT)^3) After plugging the a value in, I did all the algebra to get to (8RT/piM)^.5.

1. What is the Maxwell Speed Distribution?

The Maxwell Speed Distribution is a mathematical model that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a certain temperature. It was developed by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the mid-19th century.

2. How does the Maxwell Speed Distribution work?

The Maxwell Speed Distribution is based on the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant motion and have a range of speeds. The distribution calculates the probability of finding a particle in a particular speed range, taking into account the mass of the particle and the temperature of the gas.

3. What factors affect the Maxwell Speed Distribution?

The Maxwell Speed Distribution is affected by two main factors: temperature and molecular weight. As temperature increases, the distribution curve shifts towards higher speeds, indicating a greater number of particles moving at higher speeds. As molecular weight increases, the distribution curve becomes narrower and taller, indicating a smaller range of speeds for the particles.

4. Why is the Maxwell Speed Distribution important?

The Maxwell Speed Distribution is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases and their properties, such as pressure and temperature. It also has practical applications in fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the Maxwell Speed Distribution?

Yes, there are limitations to the Maxwell Speed Distribution. It assumes that gas particles are point masses with no interactions between them, which is not always the case in real gases. It also does not account for quantum effects at very low temperatures. Additionally, it only applies to ideal gases, which have negligible volume and interactions between particles.