Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's eqn in invariant form

1. Dec 17, 2003 #1
    Maxwell's eqn, in invariant form reads:

[tex]F^{\mu \nu}{}_{;\nu} = J^{\mu}[/tex]

and

[tex]F_{\alpha \beta ;\gamma} + F_{\beta \gamma ;\alpha}+F_{\gamma \alpha; \beta} = 0 [/tex]

Can someone give Maxwell's eqn if there is magnetic charge and current? I do not believe the form (matrix element) of F change, however, if it does, please state that as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2003 #2

DW

The second can be written in terms of the electromagnetic duel tensor [tex]D^{\mu \nu}[/tex] as
    [tex]D^{\mu \nu}{}_{;\nu} = 0[/tex]
    Instead of setting that equal to zero try setting it proportional to your hypothetical magnetic four current [tex]M^\mu[/tex] like:
    [tex]D^{\mu \nu}{}_{;\nu} = kM^{\mu}[/tex]
    (Normally I would explicitely put in the constants determied by your system of units for both sets of equations)
    I haven't checked into this, but off the top of my head I think this would work. Of course your next job will be to go out and find a magnetic monopole in order to justify having done this.

4. Dec 17, 2003 #3
    How do you define the dual tensor?

5. Dec 18, 2003 #4

DW

The electromagnetic duel tensor [tex]D_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is related to the electromagnetic tensor [tex]F^{\mu\nu}[/tex] and the rank 4 Levi-Civita tensor [tex]\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}[/tex] by
    [tex]D_{\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{2}F^{\alpha\beta}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?