1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equations form

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    Easy question for those who know, I expect. It would help me understand though.

Generally, wherever I look for information the equation

curl E = - dB/dt

is given, but in some areas I see the equation

curl E(r,t) = j*omega*u0*H(r,t)

where j is the imaginary unit, omega is angular freq., u0 is permeability of free space.

B=u0*H so that's ok, but does this imply that dB/dt = -j*omega*B ?

Also, curl H(r,t) = -j*omega*e0*e*E(r,t) is given where e0 is permittivity of free space, e is a dielectric tensor. I assume this can be explained in the same way.

I'm missing a chunk of understanding as you probably notice ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually, when trying to write down solutions to Mawell's equations, people assume two things about the field:

1) The spatial part and the temporal part can be separated: E(r,t) = R(r)T(t).
    2) The temporal part can be written as T(t) = Ae[itex]^{i \omega t}[/itex].

The first assumption is fairly basic to solving differential equations, and separable functions are a very important class of solutions- I can't give a consise reason why, but for now, it makes it possible to analytically solve the equations.

The second assumption just means that the temperal part oscillates like a sine wave. It's written that way to be more general (and actually, the full expression is T(t) = Ae[itex]^{i \omega t}[/itex] + BAe[itex]^{-i \omega t}[/itex] ). There's good reasons for this assumption as well, which I don't need to get into now.

Anyhow, hopefully you can see where the j[itex]\omega[/itex] comes from now- electrical engineers use 'j' instead of 'i' becasue 'i' is current density.

The other part is the conversion of E to D, and B to H. But you seem to have a handle on that part.

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    Ah, yes I see now.

Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook