Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equations

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    Basically I couldn't understand Maxwell's equations during my college days mainly because I didn't understand divergence and curl during that time.
    I need some good book on Electromagnetic Fields (such as Gauss Laws and so on) and also I want to learn about Maxwell's equations. I want to understand them intuitively and in depth.
    So please mention me the name of the book with the author.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I strongly recommend "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Volume 2 deals with EM. and explains the needed vector calculus (divergence, curl,Gauss' law, etc.) in detail. There are even free pdfs online, although I'm not sure they are legal.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Introduction to Electrodynamics by David Griffiths. Work through the problems, you'll understand Curl and Div. I have so many EM books, none of the engineering EM books do that well in presenting the Maxwell's equations. You need physics book like this to understand. I know because I studied two of the engineering EM books and still don't feel comfortable until I studied Griffiths and it's like the light bulb got turn on.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Dan Fleisch is a must read if you do want to learn Maxwell's equations in brief and a non formal way. If you are a beginner, then I am sceptical for using Griffiths, however if you do have some initial knowldge about it then it's great book to learn Maxweel's equations.

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5
  7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    I second that, its a great book to start with. It is better organized to get the big picture than say Resnick/Halliday introductory physics. I read it in a few hours and it clarified the equations a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook