Maxwell's Equations

• Thread starter rho11yw00d
  • Start date
hey i need help explaining this... im really lost...

What is the further condition on the charges and the currents, which is necessary for the Maxwell Equations? Explain how it relates to the existence of the displacement current.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
rho11yw00d said:

What is the further condition on the charges and the currents, which is necessary for the Maxwell Equations? Explain how it relates to the existence of the displacement current.

You are really not giving us a lot to go by. It would help if you put in some CONTEXT of your question.

With just that, I'd say it's the continuity equation.

Zz.

rho11yw00d said:

Well do you know what a displacement current is ?
For example, explain this for a capacitor that is connected to an EMF, so that there is a current flowing. Do you know the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena ???

In stead of asking questions that YOU should answer, do try to think and solve it for yourself...it is much more rewarding :wink:

marlon

yeah this teacher isnt giving me much to work ith here... but im gonna look into what marlon said... thanks! i know i should but i think im looking too much into the question maybe

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The curl H Maxwell equation is inconsistent if there is only a j term on the RHS.
This is because divcurl=0, but div j=-d rho/dt. Max realized that an additional term depending on dD/dt had to be added to the RHS. He called this term
"the dispacement current" because Max thought it was due to a displacement of bound charge in the aether. Now we know it is just there in the vacuum.

marlon said:
Well do you know what a displacement current is ?
For example, explain this for a capacitor that is connected to an EMF, so that there is a current flowing. Do you know the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena ???

In stead of asking questions that YOU should answer, do try to think and solve it for yourself...it is much more rewarding :wink:

marlon

:devil: strange, Marlon wrote once upon a time page after page of useful explanations. :confused: