Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's Equations

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    hey i need help explaining this... im really lost...

What is the further condition on the charges and the currents, which is necessary for the Maxwell Equations? Explain how it relates to the existence of the displacement current.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are really not giving us a lot to go by. It would help if you put in some CONTEXT of your question.

With just that, I'd say it's the continuity equation.

Zz.

4. Apr 26, 2005 #3
    Well do you know what a displacement current is ?
    For example, explain this for a capacitor that is connected to an EMF, so that there is a current flowing. Do you know the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena ???

In stead of asking questions that YOU should answer, do try to think and solve it for yourself...it is much more rewarding :wink:

marlon

5. Apr 26, 2005 #4
    yeah this teacher isnt giving me much to work ith here... but im gonna look into what marlon said... thanks! i know i should but i think im looking too much into the question maybe

6. Apr 28, 2005 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The curl H Maxwell equation is inconsistent if there is only a j term on the RHS.
    This is because divcurl=0, but div j=-d rho/dt. Max realized that an additional term depending on dD/dt had to be added to the RHS. He called this term
    "the dispacement current" because Max thought it was due to a displacement of bound charge in the aether. Now we know it is just there in the vacuum.

7. Apr 29, 2005 #6

:devil: strange, Marlon wrote once upon a time page after page of useful explanations. :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?