1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's relation Thermodynamics

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    How can I prove the following relation
    T(∂p/∂T)v,N +(∂T/∂V)u,N =p(∂T/∂U)v,N

where p= pressure, V= volume, U=internal energy, T= Temperature. I tried by fundamental relation and Maxwell's relation but couldn't able to prove it.

I would appreciate if anybody helps me out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are those partial derivatives? If so use "advanced" so we can be sure. Is t the same as T?

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

...and you also need to tell which variables are kept constant when taking the partial derivatives like in, e.g.,
    [tex]C_V=\left (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right )_{V,N}[/tex]
    to define the specific heat at constant volume.

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the trick with thermodynamics. Partial derivatives always come from maths with something extra: which variables specifically you are keeping constant when calculating the limits of a multivariable function.

6. Oct 22, 2013 #5

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I think the relationship is wrong. The dimensions of the first term are those of pressure, but the dimensions of the other two terms are those of temperature divided by volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted