1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's wheel question

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Well, I have to do experiment with Maxwell's wheel, but i struggle with theoretical background.
    If you dont know what Maxwell's wheel is,
    http://www.nikhef.nl/~h73/kn1c/praktikum/phywe/LEP/Experim/1_3_18.pdf

I understand conservation of energy and how we made that equation, but this part i dont get;

Clipboard01.jpg
    Ok, i understand derivative, but how do i get s(t) and v(t).
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You just need a bit of algebra. Hint: first solve for the acceleration.

4. May 13, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a very simple ODE. Solve it for v(t) using the given I.C. for v, then solve for s(t) = ∫v(t)dt using the I.C. for s.

EDIT: go with Doc Al, don't need formal ODE approach. Divide by v and solve for accel.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. May 14, 2015 #4
    Edit:
    I see that v derivated is acceleration, so when i divide equation and kill v(t) i get acceleration,
    a= mg/(m+I/r2)

should i just double integrate it now for s(t) and once for v(t), yes,i get it.
    thanks!

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. May 14, 2015 #5
    One more thing
    http://www.officeplayground.com/Assets/ProductPreview/pi3600-3799/3653_maxwellswheel_1.jpg [Broken]
    In scheme of wheel, where does ds point to?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. May 14, 2015 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right!

Sure. (Or, since the acceleration is constant, you can use the standard kinematic formulas.)

Down.

8. May 14, 2015 #7
    Alright. I cant remember why, if ds=d(phi)xr, where x i vector cross multiply. Using right hand rule, it should be perpenicular towards angle and radiaii?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted