May you me with grade twelve physics?

• Thread starter lanvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a smaller box is resting on a larger box on a table, and both boxes move together when a force is applied to the larger box. The question is to determine the smallest coefficient of friction between the boxes that will prevent slippage, given an acceleration of 2/5m/s^2. After some discussion and using Newton's 2nd law and the formula for maximum static friction, the smallest coefficient of friction is calculated to be 2.6x10^(-1).
lanvin
Questions is...
a small is resting on a larger box, which is resting on a table. When an applied force is applied to the larger box, the two boxes move together. The small box does not slip.

If the acceleration of the pair of boxed has a magnitude of 2/5m/s^2, determine the smallest coefficient of friction between the boxes that will percent slippage.

I'm not sure where to even start... If the object is accelerating, wouldn't the small box slip off eventually? Or are we supposed to find static friction? ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The only force accelerating the small box is static friction. What friction force is required? (Hint: Let "m" stand for the mass of the small box.)

Thanks for replying!

Would I need to use a formula where the masses cancel? The only value the question gives us is the acceleration... which is 2.5m/s². Also the 9.8N/kg which is always assumed...

...I'm looking for µ, right?

lanvin said:
Would I need to use a formula where the masses cancel?
The mass will cancel, which is why I suggest labeling it "m" and continuing.

...I'm looking for µ, right?
That's right.

Hints: You'll need to combine two formulas: (1) Newton's 2nd law; (2) The formula for maximum static friction. (That second formula contains µ.)

alright,
so
F(s) = ma

F(N) - F(g) = 0
F(N) = F(g)
F(N) = mg

F(s) = µ(s) F(N)
ma = µ(s)mg
a/g = µ(s)
[2.5m/s²] / [9.8m/s²]= µ(s)
therefore, the smallest coefficient of friction between the boxes that will prevent slippage is 2.6x10^(-1)

something like that?

Exactly like that. :approve:

wow thanks

What is the best way to study for grade twelve physics?

The best way to study for grade twelve physics is to start early, review your notes and textbook regularly, practice solving problems, and seek help from your teacher or peers if needed.

What are the most important topics in grade twelve physics?

The most important topics in grade twelve physics include electricity and magnetism, mechanics, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in grade twelve physics?

To improve your understanding of difficult concepts in grade twelve physics, try breaking them down into smaller parts, use visual aids or online resources, and practice solving related problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in grade twelve physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in grade twelve physics include not reading the question carefully, not showing all your work, and not double-checking your answers.

What are some career options for those with a background in grade twelve physics?

Career options for those with a background in grade twelve physics include becoming an engineer, scientist, researcher, teacher, or working in fields such as renewable energy, aerospace, or healthcare technology.