Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maya 6.5 on a laptop?

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    Maya 6.5 on a laptop??

Hello,
    I'm planning to buy a laptop(or a notebook if the name matters), what i want in the laptop is to run maya 3D fine( and other programs like photoshop, flash...design software in general), i also want a big HDD(60GB maybe good),high memory for good performance, CD/DVD burner.and fine a stable precessor( not sure if its centrino).
    i'm fixing about $1500

I would really appreciate any suggestions
    Adham.

P.S: i have a good deal on an LG notebook, not sure if its a good choice.. again i would be gratefull for any help here

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you get Dell Precision - series where you're at at that price ? I'm running all those on a year old M60 without a problem (60 Gb HDD, 40 Gb expansion drive, P M 2.1 GHz, 2 Gb memory, could do with 1 Gb on most appl. even when running the system in WinXP).

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3
    Not an option

thanx for that..
    it seems i certainly dont have the option of Dell Precision, its too expensive..
    any suggestions please??

Adham

5. Jul 17, 2005 #4
    Check out www.pctorque.com

They have powerful laptops and a great forum where you can do research and get help and support.

Regards

6. Jul 18, 2005 #5
    At the Dell Factory Outlet, there is a Precision Workstation M-70 for $1,380.00.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks

It comes with the lastest Nvidia workstation graphics card. The RAM is only 512MB, but that can be upgraded at Crucial.com.

7. Jul 18, 2005 #6
    I may not be wanting a workstation.. notebook is what i need.. cause i will be moving a lot... anyhow thanks for the advice...if you find any such good deals, i will be more than pleased to know.

Regards....

8. Jul 18, 2005 #7

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It goes by the name workstation but is a laptop .... not the lightest one but a laptop. Dell has placed it to its workstation lineup due to the 'torque' it possesses.

9. Jul 18, 2005 #8
    For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.

10. Jul 19, 2005 #9
    For the programs he listed, a Dell Precision M-60 or M-70 will smoke just about any other laptop at any price. You can check the reports on the CAD usenet groups to confirm this. For example:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...1bc3037f9?q=m70&rnum=3&hl=en#c54c9491bc3037f9

--
    A Portable Workstation that is to be used with 3D CAD will have one of only
    two available Graphics chipset lines available. It will have either the
    NVIDIA Quadro FX Go series or the ATI Mobility FireGL series of chipsets.
    Anything less is meant for games and will not provide the quality and
    performance that you will want. Dell is the only provider with the NVIDIA
    option, while IBM and HP offer products with the ATI option. In the past,
    NVIDIA always seemed to be better for CAD and that's why most prefer the
    Dell M60/M70 laptops.
    --

11. Jul 19, 2005 #10
    I agree. My laptop is an HP, and it cost me $1500 base price. But the video card is terrible, and the memory is lacking. I cannot do airflow analysis on it, and I am building a desktop for that. But I think you will be hard-pressed to find what you want for that price.

12. Jul 20, 2005 #11

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agree, this is the criterion I've used in past 3 laptops to make the selection. And I do mostly 3D modeling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?