Maya 6.5 on a laptop?

  • Thread starter Adhgh
  • Start date
8
0
Maya 6.5 on a laptop??

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a laptop(or a notebook if the name matters), what i want in the laptop is to run maya 3D fine( and other programs like photoshop, flash...design software in general), i also want a big HDD(60GB maybe good),high memory for good performance, CD/DVD burner.and fine a stable precessor( not sure if its centrino).
i'm fixing about $1500

I would really appreciate any suggestions
Adham.

P.S: i have a good deal on an LG notebook, not sure if its a good choice.. again i would be gratefull for any help here
 

PerennialII

Science Advisor
Gold Member
898
0
Can you get Dell Precision - series where you're at at that price ? I'm running all those on a year old M60 without a problem (60 Gb HDD, 40 Gb expansion drive, P M 2.1 GHz, 2 Gb memory, could do with 1 Gb on most appl. even when running the system in WinXP).
 
8
0
Not an option

thanx for that..
it seems i certainly dont have the option of Dell Precision, its too expensive..
any suggestions please??

Adham
 
217
0
Adhgh said:
thanx for that..
it seems i certainly dont have the option of Dell Precision, its too expensive..
any suggestions please??

Adham
Check out www.pctorque.com

They have powerful laptops and a great forum where you can do research and get help and support.

Regards
 
911
0
At the Dell Factory Outlet, there is a Precision Workstation M-70 for $1,380.00.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks

It comes with the lastest Nvidia workstation graphics card. The RAM is only 512MB, but that can be upgraded at Crucial.com.
 
8
0
hitssquad said:
At the Dell Factory Outlet, there is a Precision Workstation M-70 for $1,380.00.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks

It comes with the lastest Nvidia workstation graphics card. The RAM is only 512MB, but that can be upgraded at Crucial.com.
I may not be wanting a workstation.. notebook is what i need.. cause i will be moving a lot... anyhow thanks for the advice...if you find any such good deals, i will be more than pleased to know.

Regards....
 

PerennialII

Science Advisor
Gold Member
898
0
Adhgh said:
I may not be wanting a workstation.. notebook is what i need.. cause i will be moving a lot... anyhow thanks for the advice...if you find any such good deals, i will be more than pleased to know.

Regards....
It goes by the name workstation but is a laptop .... not the lightest one but a laptop. Dell has placed it to its workstation lineup due to the 'torque' it possesses.
 
114
0
For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.
 
911
0
mewmew said:
For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.
For the programs he listed, a Dell Precision M-60 or M-70 will smoke just about any other laptop at any price. You can check the reports on the CAD usenet groups to confirm this. For example:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.cad.solidworks/browse_thread/thread/9a6113976f3458ec/c54c9491bc3037f9?q=m70&rnum=3&hl=en#c54c9491bc3037f9

--
A Portable Workstation that is to be used with 3D CAD will have one of only
two available Graphics chipset lines available. It will have either the
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go series or the ATI Mobility FireGL series of chipsets.
Anything less is meant for games and will not provide the quality and
performance that you will want. Dell is the only provider with the NVIDIA
option, while IBM and HP offer products with the ATI option. In the past,
NVIDIA always seemed to be better for CAD and that's why most prefer the
Dell M60/M70 laptops.
--
 
202
1
mewmew said:
For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.
I agree. My laptop is an HP, and it cost me $1500 base price. But the video card is terrible, and the memory is lacking. I cannot do airflow analysis on it, and I am building a desktop for that. But I think you will be hard-pressed to find what you want for that price.
 

PerennialII

Science Advisor
Gold Member
898
0
hitssquad said:
For the programs he listed, a Dell Precision M-60 or M-70 will smoke just about any other laptop at any price. You can check the reports on the CAD usenet groups to confirm this. For example:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.cad.solidworks/browse_thread/thread/9a6113976f3458ec/c54c9491bc3037f9?q=m70&rnum=3&hl=en#c54c9491bc3037f9

--
A Portable Workstation that is to be used with 3D CAD will have one of only
two available Graphics chipset lines available. It will have either the
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go series or the ATI Mobility FireGL series of chipsets.
Anything less is meant for games and will not provide the quality and
performance that you will want. Dell is the only provider with the NVIDIA
option, while IBM and HP offer products with the ATI option. In the past,
NVIDIA always seemed to be better for CAD and that's why most prefer the
Dell M60/M70 laptops.
--
Agree, this is the criterion I've used in past 3 laptops to make the selection. And I do mostly 3D modeling.
 

Related Threads for: Maya 6.5 on a laptop?

  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
13
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
7K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
745
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
10
Views
953

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top