Maya 6.5 on Laptop - Get the Best Deal Up to $1500

• Thread starter Adhgh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking to buy a laptop that can run Maya 3D and other design software smoothly. They have a budget of $1500 and are considering an LG notebook, but are open to suggestions. One suggestion is to check out www.pctorque.com for powerful laptops and support. Another suggestion is to look into Dell Precision M-70, which can be found for $1,380 at the Dell Factory Outlet. It is a workstation laptop with NVIDIA Quadro FX Go or ATI Mobility FireGL graphics, which are ideal for CAD and design software. The conversation ends with agreement that a $1500 laptop may not be the best choice for running these programs and that the Dell Precision M-60 or
Adhgh
Maya 6.5 on a laptop??

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a laptop(or a notebook if the name matters), what i want in the laptop is to run maya 3D fine( and other programs like photoshop, flash...design software in general), i also want a big HDD(60GB maybe good),high memory for good performance, CD/DVD burner.and fine a stable precessor( not sure if its centrino).
I'm fixing about $1500

I would really appreciate any suggestions
Adham.

P.S: i have a good deal on an LG notebook, not sure if its a good choice.. again i would be gratefull for any help here

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you get Dell Precision - series where you're at at that price ? I'm running all those on a year old M60 without a problem (60 Gb HDD, 40 Gb expansion drive, P M 2.1 GHz, 2 Gb memory, could do with 1 Gb on most appl. even when running the system in WinXP).

Not an option

thanx for that..
it seems i certainly don't have the option of Dell Precision, its too expensive..
any suggestions please??

Adham

Adhgh said:
thanx for that..
it seems i certainly don't have the option of Dell Precision, its too expensive..
any suggestions please??

Adham

Check out www.pctorque.com

They have powerful laptops and a great forum where you can do research and get help and support.

Regards

hitssquad said:
At the Dell Factory Outlet, there is a Precision Workstation M-70 for $1,380.00.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks

It comes with the lastest Nvidia workstation graphics card. The RAM is only 512MB, but that can be upgraded at Crucial.com.

I may not be wanting a workstation.. notebook is what i need.. cause i will be moving a lot... anyhow thanks for the advice...if you find any such good deals, i will be more than pleased to know.

Regards...

Adhgh said:
I may not be wanting a workstation.. notebook is what i need.. cause i will be moving a lot... anyhow thanks for the advice...if you find any such good deals, i will be more than pleased to know.

Regards...

It goes by the name workstation but is a laptop ... not the lightest one but a laptop. Dell has placed it to its workstation lineup due to the 'torque' it possesses.

For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.

mewmew said:
For the programs you listed a $1500 laptop is not going to be the best choice I would imagine.
For the programs he listed, a Dell Precision M-60 or M-70 will smoke just about any other laptop at any price. You can check the reports on the CAD usenet groups to confirm this. For example:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group...1bc3037f9?q=m70&rnum=3&hl=en#c54c9491bc3037f9

--
A Portable Workstation that is to be used with 3D CAD will have one of only
two available Graphics chipset lines available. It will have either the
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go series or the ATI Mobility FireGL series of chipsets.
Anything less is meant for games and will not provide the quality and
performance that you will want. Dell is the only provider with the NVIDIA
option, while IBM and HP offer products with the ATI option. In the past,
NVIDIA always seemed to be better for CAD and that's why most prefer the
Dell M60/M70 laptops.
--

mewmew said:

I agree. My laptop is an HP, and it cost me $1500 base price. But the video card is terrible, and the memory is lacking. I cannot do airflow analysis on it, and I am building a desktop for that. But I think you will be hard-pressed to find what you want for that price.

hitssquad said:
For the programs he listed, a Dell Precision M-60 or M-70 will smoke just about any other laptop at any price. You can check the reports on the CAD usenet groups to confirm this. For example:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group...1bc3037f9?q=m70&rnum=3&hl=en#c54c9491bc3037f9

--
A Portable Workstation that is to be used with 3D CAD will have one of only
two available Graphics chipset lines available. It will have either the
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go series or the ATI Mobility FireGL series of chipsets.
Anything less is meant for games and will not provide the quality and
performance that you will want. Dell is the only provider with the NVIDIA
option, while IBM and HP offer products with the ATI option. In the past,
NVIDIA always seemed to be better for CAD and that's why most prefer the
Dell M60/M70 laptops.
--

Agree, this is the criterion I've used in past 3 laptops to make the selection. And I do mostly 3D modeling.

What is Maya 6.5?

Maya 6.5 is a computer software program used for 3D modeling, animation, and rendering. It is commonly used in the film, television, and gaming industries.

Can Maya 6.5 be used on a laptop?

Yes, Maya 6.5 can be used on a laptop as long as the laptop meets the minimum system requirements. These include a compatible operating system, sufficient RAM and hard drive space, and a dedicated graphics card.

How much does Maya 6.5 cost?

The cost of Maya 6.5 varies depending on the retailer and any current deals or discounts. However, it typically ranges from $1,000 to $2,000.

Can I get a deal on Maya 6.5 for my laptop?

Yes, there are often deals and promotions available for Maya 6.5. Some retailers may offer discounts or bundle deals, and there are also sometimes promotions directly from the software developer. It is recommended to research and compare prices to find the best deal.

What are the benefits of using Maya 6.5 on a laptop?

Using Maya 6.5 on a laptop allows for more flexibility and mobility, as the software can be used on-the-go. It also allows for a more compact and streamlined workspace compared to using a desktop computer. However, the performance may be limited compared to a high-end desktop setup.