Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maybe i should stay away from coffee

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1

-Job-

Science Advisor

One of the things i love to do at night is drink some coffee and work on some computer program or interesting problem. Coffee has a really strong effect on me. I can just think that much more clearly when i'm "under the influence" than when i'm not because i'm much more focused. The problem is that my mind begins to race at such a speed that i can't stop thinking and i get very aware of everything and sensitive to stimulus. Then when i try to go to sleep i can't because my mind is so busy, and i get these very realistic dreams, or even if i just close my eyes i see random stuff so clearly. Then i get caught in a state between sleep and awake and i sleepwalk to the most senseless dreams.
    Well yesterday, i think i reached some peak state of awareness. I had been thinking about physics, and got to think about life and i got to a point where i thought i understood what was going on. It must sound ridiculous, but to be utterly convinced that you know what life is, even if it was all nonsense, was a pretty scary thing. I was feeling like if i kept on thinking about it life would "stop" and so i made myself to not think about it.
    Obviously i was in some state between sleep and awake again (i had been trying to sleep, but thoughts were popping up everywhere, no doubt because of the frickin' coffee), and this nonsense got into my mind and it was a hell of a scary time.
    I felt as if my brain was an engine going way faster than it could handle and that it was just about to give. Does anybody else get into a state like this because of coffee? There should be a warning or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    I drink huge quantities of it, so I don't think I'm anywhere near as sensitive to caffein as you. Then again, I probably have undiagnosed migraines, which coffee is good for. I first noticed this in college: drinking a cup of coffee made my headaches go away. Later, in a book on migraines I read, it said the same thing: caffein alleviates the symptoms.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

I found this on wiki:
    I'm definitely going to start to take it easy on coffee. :yuck:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  5. Mar 4, 2006 #4
    Well, you've revealed the secret of my inspiration when writing Stupid Quetions: caffein induced insanity.

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    Caffeine before you sleep isn't a good idea. When you do fall asleep, your sleeping patterns are disrupted and you cannot fall into such a deep state of sleep as you usually do. This is true even when you feel tired. I've heard that the effective dose of caffeine in your body is cut in half every six hours....

EDIT: HAHA, one time I got up during the night to get some water and when getting back in bed, I all of a sudden thought I knew everything and wondered "what am I going to do with all this knowledge". I started having thoughts of black holes and such... when I fell asleep and then woke up I started laughing... This is like the times when I used to have a radio wake me up everyday in the morning. Everyday they had some talkshow at that time and several times I found myself talking to the people on the radio because I was so out of it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  7. Mar 4, 2006 #6

-Job-

Science Advisor

LOL, that's funny. :tongue2:

8. Mar 4, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had dreams like that, where I find the answers to some great mystery of the universe, but when I wake up, I can only remember the question, not the answer. :grumpy:

9. Mar 5, 2006 #8
    That's happened to you too? I went through a spate of insomnia last fall, and that's how I spent most of my nights. I'd think I was asleep, but I was mostly awake all night, and I kept discovering the answer to "everything". All of a sudden, "everything" made sense and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't realised it before. I'd get up and out of bed and be on my way to e-mail my new-found information to someone before I'd give my head a shake and go back to bed. It continued for months.

Now I'll have to figure out if I was consuming an inordinate amount of coffee and/or tea at the time.

10. Mar 5, 2006 #9
    has anyone here ever solved a problem while asleep? I was talking to a couple of my physics friends, and several people have mentioned at least one occurance.

You're working on some problem late into the night and can't get a hang of it, so you give up and go to sleep and then all of a sudden an hour into sleep the answer suddenly comes to you! And you jolt out of bed with the answer in head scrambling for a piece of a paper and a pencil before you forget everything.

I've done this twice now, the only problem being that both times I was still tired enough that I couldn't really do any of the math competantly, but I could see the entire problem in my head and how it leads to an answer. So I have to write that down and then wait through the entire night before I can get up and actually finish solving the problem.

~Lyuokdea

11. Mar 5, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so that's what all those strange emails were that you kept sending me in the middle of the night! :biggrin: :rofl: J/K, but when you said that, it made me wonder, what if you really had sent some emails to people while still half asleep? I bet they'd be pretty hilarious to read.

12. Mar 5, 2006 #11
    It would have been hilarious, Moonbear. One occasion, I managed to stumble into the kitchen and jot down my thought before going back to bed, and in the morning, it was something about not trusting people with plastic bags or something along those lines. It was brilliant while I was sleeping/not sleeping, though. :biggrin:

Lyoukdea, I haven't evern solved math problems that way, but I remember writing poetry and waking up a few times through the night with the next few lines in my mind. And, I've come up with solutions to some personal problems while I was asleep. I just awoke with the answer. So, yes, I believe that sometimes you can assign a task for your sub-conscious mind to deal with and it can or will.

13. Mar 5, 2006 #12

-Job-

Science Advisor

I'm actually "under" as we speak. I want to wear it out a bit before i try to go to sleep. I'm so aware, so focused, i love it. :smile:

14. Mar 5, 2006 #13
    These experiences with suddenly feeling you understand something perfectly demonstrate that that feeling can be a thing unto itself, independent of the accompanying train of thought. When that feeling is triggered by itself it become erroneously applied to whatever whacky logic is going on in our minds, making it seem like the inspiration of genius.

I have to suspect that this is what's happening in the minds of alot of schizophrenic and manic people: that feeling of having penetrated to the heart of a deep mystery is being constantly triggered, giving them great confidence in whatever nonsensical logic passes through their minds.

15. Mar 5, 2006 #14
    Now that's a fascinating conclusion. So then you're suggesting a misfiring neurochemical. And yes, likely the same one that's misfiring in some the case of some mental illnesses. Thanks zooby. I'm going to mentally munch on this idea for a while.

16. Mar 5, 2006 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

During periods of work stress I have actually performed my work during my dreams, only to find out the next day that I hadn't actually done the work, I had done it all in my sleep and had to do it all again. :cry:

17. Mar 5, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't done my work in my dreams, but I have "woken up," showered, gotten dressed, and headed off to work (or school...I've managed this since being a little kid in gradeschool), only to really wake up and realize I was still in bed and had 5 minutes to get out the door. :grumpy:

18. Mar 5, 2006 #17
    I remember a few days in a row during last summer, whenever I would wake up I was able to think and write stuff down.... I wanted to do a math problem a few times but I always woke up before solving it...

One thing that I have found during school, however, is that almost everyday when my alarm sounds for the first time, I am under extreme stress. I keep on thinking that I forgot to do something, omg what am I gonna do, etc etc. Then I get up and think "wtf was I thinking".

19. Mar 5, 2006 #18

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer is 42. You can now begin your universal takeover.

20. Mar 5, 2006 #19

I hate that!!

Or far worse, I tend to have very realistic dreams, occasionally replaying particular days of my life in very close detail (at least, as close as I can remember, but whose to say the dreams haven't overridden some of my memory and made the similarity seem even closer than it is). Then I wake up thinking it had all happened the day before. I've actually talked to people about something that happened in a dream as if it had really happened. I got more than a few weird looks for that one.

21. Mar 5, 2006 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ha, I've had the same experience just last friday the stupid thing was that it was so trivial that I couldn't believe I had dreamed it.

I was sure I had figured out how to open the lid of a centrifuge right after it had stopped spinning (normally it gives all these warning beeps that it is ready, which takes half a minute). I had dreamed that if I pushed a certain button the lid would pop open, so last friday I was pushing all the buttons to open the lid.. which didn't happen.. it only happened in my dream :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?